Honored Contributor

Re: PRince Philip is retiring

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I think it's great that Prince Philip is retiring.His many years of service is great.  However, he didn't exactly live a difficult life.  He hasn't worked a real job in decades.

There are many people in their seventies & beyond who get up every morning & put in a full day of actual work.They live modestly & struggle to pay their bills.

Prince Philip retiring from an easy life of public appearances is honorable but doesn't impress me.If he had to do what us regular people do he would have retired decades ago!!

@NicksmomESQ

I know the Brits like them, but they're a family of glorified ribbon cutters.   Yes, they make public appearances and wave a lot,  but they travel in a luxurious first class manner, and are coddled.    

I've read today's announcement and I still don't know why this was an "emergency" meeting.  He's not retiring for months yet.

Honored Contributor

Hi @Venezia

I'm with you.  The Royal Family brings in more money to the UK by way of tourism than their cost to the citizens.  The cost to each citizen is something like two of our dollars, and they get back so much more. 

Honored Contributor

It amazes me that so many people in America have no idea what all the family does, especially the Queen.  I've posted reports on it before but facts don't seem to matter. 

Honored Contributor

The Royal Family schedule is set months and years in advance.

The other Royals will have to add things to their already packed schedule.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@software wrote:

I know this will be blasphemy to some, but when the Queen retires as well, this monarchy thing needs to RETIRE as well.   

ITA.

Just can't believe in this advanced day & age,

we still have something so antiquated as a monarchy.

There are still many monarchys in the world. Most of them are like the English one - they rule in name only and there is a parliment who actually run the country. A friend of mine is really into this monarchy thing and she follows many of them online.She knows their names and all about all of them. They are her hobby.

Respected Contributor

Every time I watch the movie, "The Patriot" ... I remember the torture & ruthless killings that our nation endured because of the British "monarchy."   As some have said, the concept of rule by Kings & Queens need to end, especially when it's time for Prince Charles & Camilla to begin their reign (what a joke).

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@VaBelle35 @faeriemoon - And they do it all without whining or complaining because it's their duty to their country and its citizens.

I know a lot of people in "regular jobs" who do nothing but whine and complain, not to mention finding ways not to do the job!

I have a great deal of respect for the British Royal Family.

So do I! QE is really an amazing person, IMHO. Strength of character.

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Every time I watch the movie, "The Patriot" ... I remember the torture & ruthless killings that our nation endured because of the British "monarchy."   As some have said, the concept of rule by Kings & Queens need to end, especially when it's time for Prince Charles & Camilla to begin their reign (what a joke).

@seaBreeze  Do you mean more than 200 years ago? 😧

Then I suppose you also remember all of the torture and murders of Native Americans and slaves by Americans. 

Honored Contributor

I wonder if Philip will still attend events where he has no official responsibilities - for example, accompanying the Queen to dinners or receptions or to the Buckingham Palace balcony to wave to the crowd below.  Or is he completely retired from public life, rarely to be seen again?

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I wonder if Philip will still attend events where he has no official responsibilities - for example, accompanying the Queen to dinners or receptions or to the Buckingham Palace balcony to wave to the crowd below.  Or is he completely retired from public life, rarely to be seen again?

The official announcement stated in part:

"Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen. Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all