Honored Contributor

Re: PRince Philip is retiring

I believe what he does/did IS hard work.  It may not be what everyone does, but it is work, and it is exhausting, and he has to do it with a smile on his face.

Honored Contributor

I follow them on their Twitter account.

It is exhausting to read their schedule.

They pack a lot in every day, lots of traveling, lots of standing and listening to people explain their programs and/or giving speeches and handing out awards.

All with a smile on your face.

Not for me!

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I believe what he does/did IS hard work.  It may not be what everyone does, but it is work, and it is exhausting, and he has to do it with a smile on his face.

We posted the same thing at the same time.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I'm not British so I certainly don't get a vote. but I like the monarchy way better than the worship to red carpet or dancing stars or rock stars and TV bombasts and/or know-nothings, all of which seems to dominate the rest of the world's cultures.

I guess the monarchy is just my kind of nostalgia.  Probably wouldn't be as happy if they had real powers.

They are into the same "worship" you speak of as the rest of the world.

Respected Contributor

Interesting family.  Continued wishes for great health during your remaining years.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 @faeriemoon - And they do it all without whining or complaining because it's their duty to their country and its citizens.

I know a lot of people in "regular jobs" who do nothing but whine and complain, not to mention finding ways not to do the job!

I have a great deal of respect for the British Royal Family.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I know this will be blasphemy to some, but when the Queen retires as well, this monarchy thing needs to RETIRE as well.   

The people in the UK want to keep the monarchy, we have nothing to say about it,

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@software wrote:

I know this will be blasphemy to some, but when the Queen retires as well, this monarchy thing needs to RETIRE as well.   

ITA.

Just can't believe in this advanced day & age,

we still have something so antiquated as a monarchy.

There are 43 monarchies in the world, tht UK is not alone.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@software wrote:

The people in the UK want to keep the monarchy, we have nothing to say about it,

@Noel7 - Quite right!  My DH is British and I have dual nationality.  I don't think people realize how much in tourism dollars the British Monarchy brings into the country or how many charities benefit from their patronage.  And anyone saying the Royals don't "work"...oh my goodness.  Yes, they do!  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@software wrote:

@Noel7 - Quite right!  My DH is British and I have dual nationality.  I don't think people realize how much in tourism dollars the British Monarchy brings into the country or how many charities benefit from their patronage.  And anyone saying the Royals don't "work"...oh my goodness.  Yes, they do!  Woman Frustrated

My dear sweet MIL was a WWII bride from Scotland and came over while her newly married fighter pilot husband was still fighting the war.  She loved America (and Texas) but until her death in 2014 never became a US citizen.  Her reason was her love of being a British subject. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."