Honored Contributor

Re: PRince Philip is retiring

The Queen needs to step down and let her son have the throne which I think he should give up to his son immediately.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

The Queen needs to step down and let her son have the throne which I think he should give up to his son immediately.  Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1

Why?    Charles has been chomping at the bit to take over, and believes he is very, very relevant.  Why would he even consider stepping aside for William?    

Honored Contributor

Since the Queen's emergency meeting was on May 4th, fans...

Since the Queen's emergency meeting was on May 4th,

fans were using Twitter to speculate maybe

she's One with the Force!

Lots & lots of cute Queen/Star Wars pics on Twitter.

IMG_1484.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

THe Queen will never abdicate.  SHe took a solemn vow to serve until she dies.  SUrely we can all remember when such vows were taken seriously.  She has dedicated her life to honoring that promise and is surely to be admired for her steadfastness.

Respected Contributor

Prince Phillip is the patron of the church I attended while living on my grandmother's farm in Germany.  He inherited that honor from an aunt who lived in a nearby castle.  The tradition in Europe of having patron's for churches goes back hundreds of years and used to be a pretty serious thing but had become just a formality.

Anyway, one day the announcement was made that Prince Phillip would be honoring the church and community with his presence during Sunday services.  A crimson chair was dug up somewhere and put in front of the first pews where the prince sat.  When the offering was collected he was politely bypassed, but got up and called the usher back so he could also contribute to whatever cause.

That's all I know.  I was not there at the time, but have heard it told many times.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

Prince Phillip is the patron of the church I attended while living on my grandmother's farm in Germany.  He inherited that honor from an aunt who lived in a nearby castle.  The tradition in Europe of having patron's for churches goes back hundreds of years and used to be a pretty serious thing but had become just a formality.

Anyway, one day the announcement was made that Prince Phillip would be honoring the church and community with his presence during Sunday services.  A crimson chair was dug up somewhere and put in front of the first pews where the prince sat.  When the offering was collected he was politely bypassed, but got up and called the usher back so he could also contribute to whatever cause.

That's all I know.  I was not there at the time, but have heard it told many times.

@CLEM

What exactly is the purpose of having a patron for a church?    Is that a person who makes financial contributions to keep things running ... or was there more to it?

Honored Contributor

Hi @CLEM

What a nice story!  Thank you so much for sharing it, I really enjoyed it and read it aloud to my husband Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What exactly is the purpose of having a patron for a church?    Is that a person who makes financial contributions to keep things running ... or was there more to it?

@Tinkrbl44  In times gone by churches needed to be protected from invading enemies and villages with their churches were often built near castles for their protection.  Churches also served as santuaries for the people living in the area.  Whoever was inside a church during an invasion, was not killed.  Many invaders abided by this rules but many did not. 

Edited to add that things probably changed with time and with it being only an honorary thing, I really don't know how it is now.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

For the Church of England, which I suspect is pretty much the same as Germany.

Pretty sure they also help when help is needed.

Patron

Every parish has its patron, who may be an individual, a corporate body, the bishop, the archbishop, the Crown.   Who actually is the patron is a matter of the history of the parish and of its origins.   Many originated as the giver of the church itself, their reward being the right to present the incumbent of the parish to the bishop for ordination.   In these days, their most important remaining duty is the presentation of the individual selected to be the new incumbent of a parish when a vacancy occurs.   In this situation the patron is joined by others – the bishop or his representative, the rural (or area) dean, a representative of the wider church, and two people chosen by the PCC of the parish under consideration.   That group can decide how to go about their task – whether, for example, to advertise the vacancy, how to interview candidates – although there are some necessary steps on the way.   For a full statement see Patronage (Benefices) Measure 1986. 

http://www.churchofenglandglossary.co.uk/dictionary/definition/patron

Respected Contributor

@Noel7  It is probably different in Germany than in England.  Royalty and gentry no longer exist in the same way as in England.