Respected Contributor

Re: ***POSSIBLE*** Coronavirus Breakthrough

@MorningLover wrote:

@noodleann wrote: I am seldom on the Fox website so I don't know whether they play fast and loose with quotes, but if these are accurate....

I'm wondering..Do you question other sites too, or just Fox.

There are several other sites reporting on this topic. 

I always like to research multiple sources to figure out the facts. Never one to be spoon fed info. by mainstream media.

LOL, I certainly do question what other sites do when it comes to attribution. Some of the most "respected" are loosey-goosey, but until they're exposed and reveal their policies, you don't know that they're essentially fabricating material. I don't know what Fox's policy is. I have more trust in what comes from the National Review. 

Respected Contributor

I don’t care whether G S o r o s OR the Koch brothers come up with it, if a cure or successful treatment for this horrible virus is discovered, I’m in. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ***POSSIBLE*** Coronavirus Breakthrough,

@lovescats wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

The press release from this company reminds me of Elizabeth Holmes and THERANOS. 

yes exactly 

Well, their stock went up the day after the CEO announcement.  

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I can't stress that word enough "possible "  breakthrough concerning the virus.

I saw this on my Facebook page, with the headline "California biopharmaceutical company claims coronavirus antibody breakthrough" .

Naturally, I can't post the story here, because of sidebars and whatnot, but if you Google that headline, you should be able to find the story.

In the first paragraph, they say that they have discovered an antibody that could shield the human body from the virus, and flush it out of the system within four days.

I am cautiously optimistic that this will work out.

FROM THE ARTICLE:  However, this is a significant 'if.' Promising though its effects on the virus were in lab tests on human cells, the company can't rightfully say that it has blocked the infection in the human body. 

O

The antibody has not yet been tested in people, so how it might behave inside the body and its potential side effects are totally unknown.  

Maybe this is the reason no one else is carrying this as news yet.

Cleveland Clinic is doing work with antibody plasma on those with the virus.  So far have had promising results.  Are asking for those who have had the virus to donate so they can expand the the program.  So yes there are tests being done in people.

Those weren't my words, everything in my post but the last sentence was taken directly from the original article.  They said it had not been tested yet on humans.  I also don't think this is antibody plasma whice is being tried out everywhere.

Sorrento hasn't done any testing of STI-1499 in human beings yet, but I read yesterday, "'As soon as it is infused, that patient is now immune to the disease,'  Dr. Brunswick said to Fox News." Dr. Brunswick is a senior VP at  Sorrento.

He can't make that statement. When Ji, the CEO, said, "This puts its arms around the virus. It wraps around the virus and moves them out of the body," that also was stating something for which he has no proof yet. I also found it strange that a man of science would characterize the mode of action as "puts its arms around the virus."

I am seldom on the Fox website so I don't know whether they play fast and loose with quotes, but if these are accurate, I wouldn't trust anything coming out of Sorrento that's not extensively vetted by third parties.

@noodleann I went to a PubMed and did a search for Dr. Ji. He has six publications, with four coming from Sorrento. None of the four are actual studies. They are discussions about the possibilities for some of the areas of the research at Sorrento. One of his pieces was from 1973. He purports to hold a PHD. His statements have no research, in vitro or invivo, to back up his statement from the press release . Even if he publishes some, this would still not be in humans. No legitimate scientist would say anything similar to the ridiculous quote from Dr. Brunswick either. I'll have to look into him. His credibility is in question, making statements like this. Talk about pumping up a stock. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

We already have HCQ, and it was a game changer.  

HCQ = Hydroxychloroquine.  

Looks like it's not ruled out. There is ongoing testing. 

May 14, 2020

National Institute of Health
Report: NIH begins clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin to treat COVID-19

@MorningLover @Blahblahvampemer I don't put much store in the results reported so far for hydrochloiqine, but I thought you might want to know more about what is going on. It is being studied in a clinical trial. Here is the NIH notice about the research.

NIH begins clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin to treat COVID-19 Study enrolling adults with mild to moderate COVID-19 in the United States.

COVID-19 is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation.

Get the latest public health information from CDC: https://www.coronavirus.gov
Get the latest research information from NIH: https://www.nih.gov/coronavirus

Thursday, May 14, 2020

A clinical trial has begun to evaluate whether the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine, given together with the antibiotic azithromycin, can prevent hospitalization and death from coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health, is sponsoring the trial, which is being conducted by the NIAID-funded AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG). Teva Pharmaceuticals is donating medications for the study.

The Phase 2b trial will enroll approximately 2,000 adults at participating ACTG sites across the United States. Study participants must have confirmed infection with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and be experiencing fever, cough and/or shortness of breath. The investigators anticipate that many of those enrolled will be 60 years of age or older or have a comorbidity associated with developing serious complications from COVID-19, such as cardiovascular disease or diabetes. Participants will be randomly assigned to receive short-term treatment with either hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin or matching placebos. People living with HIV and pregnant and breastfeeding women also are eligible to participate in the study. The first participant enrolled today in San Diego, California.

“We urgently need a safe and effective treatment for COVID-19. Repurposing existing drugs is an attractive option because these medications have undergone extensive testing, allowing them to move quickly into clinical trials and accelerating their potential approval for COVID-19 treatment,” said NIAID Director Anthony S. Fauci, M.D. “Although there is anecdotal evidence that hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin may benefit people with COVID-19, we need solid data from a large randomized, controlled clinical trial to determine whether this experimental treatment is safe and can improve clinical outcomes.”

As of May 13, the World Health Organization (WHO) has reported 4.17 million cases of and 287,399 deaths from COVID-19 worldwide. In the United States, 1.36 million confirmed COVID-19 cases and 82,246 deaths have been reported as of May 13, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Currently, there are no specific therapeutics approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat people with COVID-19. Hydroxychloroquine is FDA-approved to prevent and treat malaria, as well as to treat the autoimmune diseases rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. Some preliminary reports have suggested that hydroxychloroquine, alone or in combination with the FDA-approved antibiotic azithromycin, may benefit people with COVID-19. Numerous clinical trials are planned or underway, including a recently launched study supported by NIH’s National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute evaluating the safety and effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine for treatment of adults hospitalized with COVID-19. On March 28, FDA issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to allow hydroxychloroquine and medical-grade chloroquine to be distributed from the Strategic National Stockpile and prescribed by doctors to hospitalized adolescents and adults with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible.

Participants in the ACTG study, called A5395, will receive oral medications to take at home. Those randomly assigned to the experimental treatment group will take 400 milligrams (mg) of hydroxychloroquine twice on the first day and 200 mg twice daily for an additional six days. They also will take 500 mg of azithromycin on the first day and 250 mg daily for an additional four days. The control group will receive equivalent numbers of placebo pills. Neither the participants nor the study team will know who received experimental treatment or placebo until the end of the trial.

Participants will record their symptoms, adherence to treatment, and major events such as hospitalizations in a diary for 20 days. Study staff will follow up with participants by telephone during this period. When possible, participants will come to the clinical research site for an in-person visit at day 20. Additional follow-ups will be conducted by telephone three and six months after treatment starts.

The main objective of the study is to determine whether hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin can prevent hospitalization and death due to COVID-19. Additionally, investigators will evaluate the safety and tolerability of the experimental treatment for people with SARS-CoV-2 infection. While hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin are both considered safe in most people, they can cause side effects ranging from headache and nausea to, rarely, heart rhythm problems that can be life-threatening. Because of the risk of heart problems when hydroxychloroquine is used alone or combined with azithromycin, FDA cautions that use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 should be limited to clinical trials or for treating certain hospitalized patients under EUAso clinicians can monitor patients for adverse effects.

“This study will provide key data to aid responses to the COVID-19 pandemic,” said ACTG Chair Judith Currier, M.D., of the University of California, Los Angeles. “We are pleased to be able to leverage ACTG’s existing infrastructure for HIV treatment clinical trials to quickly implement this important study.”

The study team is led by Protocol Chair Davey Smith, M.D., of the University of California, San Diego. David Wohl, M.D., of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and Kara W. Chew, M.D., and Eric S. Daar, M.D., both of the University of California, Los Angeles, serve as protocol vice-chairs. The trial is expected to enroll quickly given the high incidence of COVID-19, and initial results may be available later this year.

For more information about A5395, visit ClinicalTrials.gov and search identifier NCT04358068. Adults interested in participating in the study should email actg.communications@  fstrf.org.

NIAID conducts and supports research—at NIH, throughout the United States, and worldwide—to study the causes of infectious and immune-mediated diseases, and to develop better means of preventing, diagnosing and treating these illnesses. News releases, fact sheets and other NIAID-related materials are available on the NIAD website.

About the National Institutes of Health (NIH): NIH, the nation's medical research agency, includes 27 Institutes and Centers and is a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. NIH is the primary federal agency conducting and supporting basic, clinical, and translational medical research, and is investigating the causes, treatments, and cures for both common and rare diseases. For more information about NIH and its programs, visit www.nih.gov.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I can't stress that word enough "possible "  breakthrough concerning the virus.

I saw this on my Facebook page, with the headline "California biopharmaceutical company claims coronavirus antibody breakthrough" .

Naturally, I can't post the story here, because of sidebars and whatnot, but if you Google that headline, you should be able to find the story.

In the first paragraph, they say that they have discovered an antibody that could shield the human body from the virus, and flush it out of the system within four days.

I am cautiously optimistic that this will work out.

FROM THE ARTICLE:  However, this is a significant 'if.' Promising though its effects on the virus were in lab tests on human cells, the company can't rightfully say that it has blocked the infection in the human body. 

O

The antibody has not yet been tested in people, so how it might behave inside the body and its potential side effects are totally unknown.  

Maybe this is the reason no one else is carrying this as news yet.

Cleveland Clinic is doing work with antibody plasma on those with the virus.  So far have had promising results.  Are asking for those who have had the virus to donate so they can expand the the program.  So yes there are tests being done in people.

Those weren't my words, everything in my post but the last sentence was taken directly from the original article.  They said it had not been tested yet on humans.  I also don't think this is antibody plasma whice is being tried out everywhere.

Sorrento hasn't done any testing of STI-1499 in human beings yet, but I read yesterday, "'As soon as it is infused, that patient is now immune to the disease,'  Dr. Brunswick said to Fox News." Dr. Brunswick is a senior VP at  Sorrento.

He can't make that statement. When Ji, the CEO, said, "This puts its arms around the virus. It wraps around the virus and moves them out of the body," that also was stating something for which he has no proof yet. I also found it strange that a man of science would characterize the mode of action as "puts its arms around the virus."

I am seldom on the Fox website so I don't know whether they play fast and loose with quotes, but if these are accurate, I wouldn't trust anything coming out of Sorrento that's not extensively vetted by third parties.

@noodleann I went to a PubMed and did a search for Dr. Ji. He has six publications, with four coming from Sorrento. None of the four are actual studies. They are discussions about the possibilities for some of the areas of the research at Sorrento. One of his pieces was from 1973. He purports to hold a PHD. His statements have no research, in vitro or invivo, to back up his statement from the press release . Even if he publishes some, this would still not be in humans. No legitimate scientist would say anything similar to the ridiculous quote from Dr. Brunswick either. I'll have to look into him. His credibility is in question, making statements like this. Talk about pumping up a stock. 

Thanks much for doing that work and reporting back on it, @Mindy D . The company seems worse, meaning less credible, than I'd first thought.

I guess we'd better get used to seeing all kinds of snake oil trotted out over the next few months. Fortunately, the competition is epic, and any promising drug or therapy will have to run a prettty formidable gauntlet. FDA approvals will be a lark compared to having Gilead, Pfizer, GSK, Sanofi, etc. breathing down your back and dissecting your documentation.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

No peer review either.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D

Yes, thanks for posting the article. That's the one I had read and posted but mine was removed for some reason!

Report: NIH begins clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin to treat COVID-19

Dr. Fauci is mentioned in the article. Testing continues.

“We urgently need a safe and effective treatment for COVID-19. Repurposing existing drugs is an attractive option because these medications have undergone extensive testing, allowing them to move quickly into clinical trials and accelerating their potential approval for COVID-19 treatment,” said NIAID Director Anthony S. Fauci, M.D. “Although there is anecdotal evidence that hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin may benefit people with COVID-19, we need solid data from a large randomized, controlled clinical trial to determine whether this experimental treatment is safe and can improve clinical outcomes.”

Some preliminary reports have suggested that hydroxychloroquine, alone or in combination with the FDA-approved antibiotic azithromycin, may benefit people with COVID-19. Numerous clinical trials are planned or underway.

Honored Contributor

There are press announcements about possible cures every day. That's nice. But it's mainly about getting attention and funding. I'll get out the confetti when a vaccine or cure is actually in the hands of doctors.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr