Esteemed Contributor

While grocery shopping last week, I noticed some people wearing masks that have what looks like a round opening that can be open and closed.  What is that for?

Just wondering.......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

While grocery shopping last week, I noticed some people wearing masks that have what looks like a round opening that can be open and closed.  What is that for?

Just wondering.......

@tends2dogs I don't know, I have never seen anyone wearing one. Maybe it aids in not having your glasses fog up? I have seen people not wearing their mask properly, wearing the mask with their nose uncovered.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2   Sort of like a vent?  I didn't think of that.  The opening isn't in the middle, but off center.

Honored Contributor

Insertion of a filter?

Valued Contributor

At least for the masks that my husband purchased for us these are for keeping a filter in place. It might be different for other masks. I have not worn this mask yet as I have worn the surgical ones and the one that is made of compression garment material. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Just wondering.......

@tends2dogs  The opening is there for the crucial face mask filter -- the true protection, since cloth face masks don't filter much.  But if you could see the opening, that means the person is not wearing the face mask correctly, or the mask is not made properly to be sung enough to not have any gaps.  

All good cloth masks should have a way to include a filter. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MASKS WITH AN OPENING

[ Edited ]

Some people call them respiratory masks. It helps them to breath fresh air. The opening is a valve that you can open and close to let fresh air in.

@tends2dogs  this is something that might work for you.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I didn't explain myself very well.  This is not the internal slit where a filter can be slid into.  It is on the outside, and it is a round opening about the size of a quarter.  It looked like something that could be popped open or closed. The mask was cloth.

The next time I see someone wearing one, I may have to ask them.  I don't go out very often so it may be awhile. Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If people are wearing masks that permit them to exhale freely--IOW, through a hole--isn't that defeating the purpose of protecting others from their vapors?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann  I think they are banned in California. They are called Masks with Valves.

I´ve seen then in my State so I guess they are allowed here.

Someone told me that it does not protect people around you because once you open the valve it´s as if you are not using a mask.