Honored Contributor

See the source image

So many try to help and so many do.  Some hear it and some don't.  Kind words can help, but they can also fall on deaf ears. 

Please show respect, but understand when others don't.  We all have our own thoughts and struggles.  We all make it with a little help from someone or something.

@fourpaws56 ... I send my helping hand to you.  Keep going strong and hold on to you.  You are making it and should hold your head high.  Many here have got your back.  They may not know it and you may not know it, but they do.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

@Preds

cute smileys hug emoticon

Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56 such a great reminder! Sometimes the smallest gestures of kindness (frequently from strangers) can make such an impact in my life! Kindness matters!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@fourpaws56 such a great reminder! Sometimes the smallest gestures of kindness (frequently from strangers) can make such an impact in my life! Kindness matters!!!!

So true, and it is something everyone can afford to give....

Honored Contributor

Empathy is the answer to all the world's problems. 

Lovely post, @fourpaws56.

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure if this thread is in reference to comments being made on these boards or among friends/family, so I hope my post isn't considered "off topic".

I have several friends and family members who continually call/email/message me wanting emotional support for all their problems. I have always been there for them and tried to be supportive over the years, but I am at a point where I have so much stress in my life, I have all I can do to get through a day and maintain my sanity. I just don't have the energy emotionally to deal with all their problems on top of my own. (They are all very much aware of what I am dealing with).

Once they get emotional support from me, I don't hear from them for weeks, until another bomb drops in their lives. I have finally gotten to the point where I don't answer their calls anymore and am not not quick to respond to their emails/messages wanting sympathy.

Anyone else dealing with this? If so, how do you handle it?

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

I'm not sure if this thread is in reference to comments being made on these boards or among friends/family, so I hope my post isn't considered "off topic".

I have several friends and family members who continually call/email/message me wanting emotional support for all their problems. I have always been there for them and tried to be supportive over the years, but I am at a point where I have so much stress in my life, I have all I can do to get through a day and maintain my sanity. I just don't have the energy emotionally to deal with all their problems on top of my own. (They are all very much aware of what I am dealing with).

Once they get emotional support from me, I don't hear from them for weeks, until another bomb drops in their lives. I have finally gotten to the point where I don't answer their calls anymore and am not not quick to respond to their emails/messages wanting sympathy.

I'm not dealing with this catwhisperer, but if I was, I would ask people to please stop.  Tell that you're having a tough time, too, and it's hard for you to deal with everybody else's problems.  If they are understanding, they will understand.

As for whatever you are dealing with in your life, is there anyway to attend a support meeting?  It does help to *talk* things out.  To get it out of your system, your fears, your anxiety, and just to have an ear listening.  

Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer  I handle it by ending the "friendship," because IMHO that isn't a friendship - not what you are describing.

You are functioning as their unpaid therapist. They dump it all on you so they don't have to work through it.

The last person who tried that on me is no longer in my life.....it gets boring after a while. My time is as valuable as theirs..........

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

Caller I D

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@catwhisperer  I handle it by ending the "friendship," because IMHO that isn't a friendship - not what you are describing.

You are functioning as their unpaid therapist. They dump it all on you so they don't have to work through it.

The last person who tried that on me is no longer in my life.....it gets boring after a while. My time is as valuable as theirs..........

Hey girl....thank you so much for your comments. You are so right, but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, so I just don't respond, hoping they will get the hint. Apparently, they don't. Smiley Sad 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.