Trusted Contributor

I thought the FDA requires all food packaging must contain ingredient info.  I have bought a number of food items at Aldi (the latest being their english muffins) and there is no ingredients or nutritional info on the pkg.  Although the english muffins are white in color, they might contain wheat which a lot of people are allergic to.  What do you think?

Trusted Contributor

Re: PKG. NUTRITIONAL INFO

[ Edited ]

I’d be willing to guess those things are equivalent to the classic Thomas’s English muffin, so it’s not that hard to figure out ingredients and nutritional values. Read a Thomas’s label!

I couldn’t explain how Aldi gets away with non-compliance to FDA regs, unless the info is provided inside the package, not outside, or posted at the display in the store.

I’d bet anyone who is allergic to wheat is smart enough to avoid all English muffins of any brand unless they are advised of what is safe. I don’t feel I have to be a watchdog or whistleblower to protect everyone who must have food restrictions. If you’re old enough to know to stay away from wheat, you don’t need a label to tell you a nice “white” English muffin could be a health threat. 

To allay remaining concerns:

Here is nutritional information for that product

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/aldi/english-muffins

According to this reviewer, Aldi’s muffins are made with  plain white flour, which I would assume is wheat. I found no list of specific ingredients identified. 

https://www.aldireviewer.com/10-things-dont-buy-aldi/

Hope this helps. 

Honored Contributor

I'm sure that people who have wheat allergies or wheat sensitities don't eat English muffins.  They also don't eat anything that that doesn't have ingredient labels.  Same for anyone with any food allergies.  I don't know the rules for such  things but bakeries don't have ingredients, perhaps the labelling requirements are different for some baked goods.

Valued Contributor

White flour usually has 10% gluten.

Trusted Contributor

@WORKING GAL 

I was in Aldi today and looked at the english muffins. The ingredients & nutritional information are on the bottom of the package.  They have wheat flour. Are these the same muffins you looked at?

20190920_121420.jpg

20190920_121431.jpg

20190920_121438.jpg

Honored Contributor

I would never buy anything that didn't contain nutritional information

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina @WORKING GAL 

We were there last night and I was coming to post the same thing.

Honored Contributor

Cherry: nor would I.