Honored Contributor

PEANUT BUTTER AND PICKLE SANDWICHES

I didn't hear about them until reading Sue Grafton's stellar "Kinsey Millhone" detective series--  iconoclastic detective Kinsey is very much sold on the tangy treat.  For her, it's easy to make and she can take it along to one of her stake-outs without stopping for her favorite default Quarter Pounder.

It does appeal to my life-long craving for salty things.  Have made them occasionally; although good, they didn't quite live up to my expectations of them, ha.  But love the idea.

Robin Johnson, flea market and thrifting blogger, showed her variation on them, toasted p.b. and pickle sandwiches. She mentioned that her mother had made them for her, and her grandmother had made them for her mother!

So it does sound like a cool vintage thing.  The closest I can come to that, is, when I was a small child, would occasionally receive a treat of a "brown sugar sandwich".   I'm sure my mother had been given them too.  Very rare (thank goodness-- imagine the number they would do on your teeth!) but fun.

Anybody else grow up with pickle and peanut butter sandwiches?  Or other unexpected sandwich variations? 

Honored Contributor

Re: PEANUT BUTTER AND PICKLE SANDWICHES

Marshmallow and PB aka a fluffernutter was as free as I got with peanuts.

Respected Contributor

As a life-long pickle hater, this appeals to me not at all.  However, I have been known to eat a baloney and potato chip sandwich.  Less so as I got to be grown up, but, still, now and then.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I used to eat peanut butter and mustard sandwiches when I was a kid. My grandmother used to make us butter on bread sprinkled with white sugar. YUM.

Honored Contributor

Mom did quite a lot of the peanut butter/syrup/banana sandwiches.  Sometimes even without the banana.  My favorite was my own creation of Lay's potato chips with onions and mustard. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

In the fifties decade at a young age I always put cold cuts, hamburgers, tuna salads, sardines , eggs and bacon, tomatoes, peanut butter and jelly etc. on my favorite bread,, bagels.  At the time, most people put butter, cream cheese or maybe lox on them, what I did wasn't popular.  In fact people would question why I was making a sandwich with a bagel!!!!!  It was a long time ago.

When bagels suddenly became so popular and stores opened up selling bagels with different spreads and such I said, hey that was my idea and why didn't I think of opening a bagel shop!!!!!!  Of course now there are many more varieties of bagels which is good for me!

I still love bagels and basically they are my go to for all types of sandwiches!

Honored Contributor

Ew no, but that bread sure does look good!

Super Contributor

When I was a kid I often ate dill pickle and peanut butter sndwiches. I haven't had one in years......maybe today for lunch......!

Honored Contributor

Peanut Butter and Pickles sandwich -- GROSS.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

. . .

Anybody else grow up with pickle and peanut butter sandwiches?  Or other unexpected sandwich variations? 

---

Never had peanut butter and pickle, but have always enjoyed a cheese and pickle sandwich.

The bread on that sandwich in the photo looks delicious!