Honored Contributor

PBS show Finding Your Roots

[ Edited ]

There is a PBS show (I rarely catch it) called Finding Your Roots.  They usually have a famous celebrity and they reveal his "roots" with DNA.  Michael Douglas was on recently.  He found he was related to Scarlett Johansson!  Turns out he is a DNA cousin of hers.  Interesting show.  In the past, Julia Roberts found out she's a cousin to Edward Norton.   She also learned that her ancestors owned slaves. Also one of her great grand parents changed the last name of Mitchell to Roberts. So there are some outstanding surprises.

QVC Customer Care

Re: PBS show Finding Your Roots

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind

Honored Contributor

I always enjoy this show and have been watching  since it began.  Of course some  of the guests back rounds are more interesting than others but it is amazing how the show traces ancestry.  It is another well done TV show on PBS which gives us Masterpiece Theater, Mysteries, documentaries and many other gems!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I enjoy that show. A number of years ago Sarah Jessica Parker was a guest. She found out that she was related to one of the women who was accused of being a witch in the Salem witch trials. I thought that was interesting because of her role in Hocus Pocus. It is fascinating how far back they can trace someone's ancestry. 

Honored Contributor

I've seen it as I'm going through the channel guide but have never watched it because I thought it was like the TLC show Who Do You Think Your Are, tracing celebrity roots back to their 23X's great grandparents.  I always thought it was a bit over the top.

Respected Contributor

I'm stating my opinion! It's an old, old show and I dislike it!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I watched it once a long time ago. Waste of time. I was totally underwhelmed.

Frequent Contributor

I watch it when I have a chance.  It's fascinating how they can trace a family's history.  I often don't know the celebrities but hearing people's histories and thinking about how knowing your own true history might or might not affect your own thoughts and perceptions today is really interesting.  Love Henry Louis Gates, Jr. too.

An "old" show?  They just started another new season.

Respected Contributor

@WRXtoo wrote:

I watch it when I have a chance.  It's fascinating how they can trace a family's history.  I often don't know the celebrities but hearing people's histories and thinking about how knowing your own true history might or might not affect your own thoughts and perceptions today is really interesting.  Love Henry Louis Gates, Jr. too.

An "old" show?  They just started another new season.

New season or not, its' the same ole, same ole. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird We love watching it. It shows what a melting pot the planet is and how we all have pretty basic wants and needs. 

If you have Roku you can stream all seasons of it and choose past episodes.(free). I remember watching Kevin Bacon and Keira Sedgewick's (SP?) and found it very interesting.

@WRXtoo Well put.