Trusted Contributor

Re: PBS show Finding Your Roots

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I've seen it as I'm going through the channel guide but have never watched it because I thought it was like the TLC show Who Do You Think Your Are, tracing celebrity roots back to their 23X's great grandparents.  I always thought it was a bit over the top.

I like Finding Your Roots, however TLS's Who Do You Think You Are is my favorite. There was more time allocated to each. One of my favorites is Martin Sheen, Charlie Sheen's father. He has Irish and Spanish roots, his sister is a professor and lives in Spain. Excellent show before TLC went down the drain.

Honored Contributor

@AlsaceGal you got that right about TLC going down the drain!

Respected Contributor

I love watching when I catch it.  I wish I could dive that deep into mine and my husbands.  He's got roots in different continents so that would be interesting!

Respected Contributor

I always enjoyed it but no longer get PBS.

Honored Contributor

My coworker is very into this show and her own Ancestry. 

Honored Contributor

I like it too and have been watching it for a few years now.

Trusted Contributor

It's one of my all time favorite shows and I don't care who the guests are.  Love Dr Gates.  I've watched all episodes twice.  Ì don't get PBS now but have ROKU and I'll subscribe to one of the streaming services that has the show when more of them accumulate. 

Respected Contributor

I've always enjoyed this show but am now getting a little bored.

For me, the star of the show is genealogy and not the host or guests.

I would like to see different ethnic groups represented, even if they're not famous. For example, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders, people who lived in early California (Mexico), and ways to detect migration across the land bridge from Russia.

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I always enjoy this show and have been watching  since it began.  Of course some  of the guests back rounds are more interesting than others but it is amazing how the show traces ancestry.  It is another well done TV show on PBS which gives us Masterpiece Theater, Mysteries, documentaries and many other gems!!!!!!

I agree with you an excellent show.  I love it when people find out they are distant relatives to other celeberties.  I would love to know the average time it takes to trace and put these things altogether.  It is a fascinating show and well done.  The host is amazing.

Honored Contributor

@WRXtoo wrote:

I watch it when I have a chance.  It's fascinating how they can trace a family's history.  I often don't know the celebrities but hearing people's histories and thinking about how knowing your own true history might or might not affect your own thoughts and perceptions today is really interesting.  Love Henry Louis Gates, Jr. too.

An "old" show?  They just started another new season.

This is their 10th season.  Henry Gates was on the view a couple weeks ago celebrating it's 10th season.