Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

We always pay cash for our vehicles too, by planning ahead and putting $$ away in a 'car fund'.

To see the total amount you pay for the car including finance charges is staggering! 

I think for the average person today, financing a car is the only way they can own one. 

And I totally understand that, we just prefer to 'plan ahead' if possible.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   that is very true, but makes little sense for those who are still working with two great incomes.

They choose to "have it all" and instantly.  They buy expensive homes, take expensive vacations, trade their cars in every two to three years and use cell phones that cost a fortune every month.  They have a lot of stuff and a lot of bills.

We all watched the lines of  expensive SUV's and cars waiting for free food during the heart of the pandemic.  

It is a shame that the Average American carries a credit card debt of $6300 and many top $20,000. The average consumer debt in America is $38,000 not including their mortgage.

Where else do people have six figure incomes and zero to little savings?

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

We always pay cash for our vehicles too, by planning ahead and putting $$ away in a 'car fund'.

To see the total amount you pay for the car including finance charges is staggering! 

I think for the average person today, financing a car is the only way they can own one. 

And I totally understand that, we just prefer to 'plan ahead' if possible.

@KingstonsMom 

I have always admired and respected those who can plan ahead with their finances. Today there are many people who don't or can't do that. I'm all about saving money for that rainy day or whatever that day may bring. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

Champagne taste on a beer budget.

Honored Contributor

@songbird   Enjoy that beautiful car! My husband would LOVE to have that! I am not much of a car person.... but that car is pretty HOT.Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

Does your electric bill go up much after charging an electric car?  How do the public charging stations work?

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

We always pay cash for our cars too.

The exception was the last one we bought, we financed it because it was 0 down, 0% interest - even then I really didn't want to do it.  I would rather just be done with it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Our soon to be new car

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Susan Louise 

You're right about the distractions although I do like the back up camera and heated seats.

What I don't l like is that there is no option to use a key to start it so if the remote battery goes dead, it's a call to AAA. 

@occasionalrain  Oy...No key option/back-up? That is just plain crazy...

To me, that is no different than power windows...

I have known a few folks who have had their power windows die and the windows were not closed when it happened. Two of those times it had just started to rain...once was during a severe t-storm.

And then I think of the new technology - no driver/automatic parking/etc...imagining it shutting down/off at the worst time.

All of which is a hard pass for me...

Honored Contributor

Nice car. Enjoy 

Honored Contributor

Re: Our soon to be new car

[ Edited ]

@tipsy wrote:

Does your electric bill go up much after charging an electric car?  How do the public charging stations work?

Very little.  He charges the car twice a week (our current car)  The car we have now has a range of 200 miles.  We have a charger attached to the garage.

Public chargers are more plentiful now then when they were back in 2014.  We have one by at the train station, universities, and at local public library.  He uses a card he purchased for 25.00.  I don't know how long he uses it for,, because we don't need to.  His job is only 3 miles away. The problem has been how long to recharge the car.  It was overnight when we first got our car.  Now it's several hours.  And now, hopefully 30 minutes. 

An electric car looks exactly like a gas driven car, but without a tailpipe.  It doesn't have an engine.  it sits on giant battery.  It's computer driven (like new gas cars now)  It doesn't make any noise.  And obviously, no emission. There is artificial noise in the car.  We've test driven a lot of the cars from the Tesla to the Mercedes.  Just about all motor companies (including Ford who just unveiled a new electric car) have electric models now. When you go to the car dealership now, the electric models are in a separate area. 

I doubt people will switch over to electric cars.  People are too attached to gas, and the oil companies are still pretty powerful.  But it has been amazing seeing the change in electric cars.