Honored Contributor

Re: Our soon to be new car

[ Edited ]

My former stepdaughter loves her BMWs. She's always owned a new one. She said they are the best cars she had ever driven and she's driven many different makes and models. She's what most people call a car fanatic.

"The ultimate driving machine." - BMW

Honored Contributor

@songbird   I looked into electric cars last spring after I was forced to get a new car after mine was totaled by a guy who ran the stop sign in a Ram1500 pick up truck.

My DH talked me out of it.  He does most of the mechanical work on our cars and through he used to be a licensed electrician, he didn't want to mess with an electrical car and he felt it would be a bother to charge the car if I drive too far from home.

So, I replaced my 2003 Honda Odyssey with a 2021 model.  My last two cars were totaled by careless drivers.

I have always been interested in electric cars, but never took the plunge.  My guess is that they work for you since you are getting another one. I don't personally know anyone who has an electric car.

I hope you get to enjoy it .... maybe some day, I will follow in your footsteps.

Respected Contributor

Very pretty @songbird, Enjoy! I need to be sitting tall when driving so when my 2003 van finally can't go go anymore a pre-owned SUV will be my choice.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@coffee drinker wrote:

@Mersha I totally agree with you because I read that post yesterday.  Hope those "internet terrorists" don't take down the electric grid like they did with the gas pipeline in the SE part of the country. 

I wondered if this post is a way for someone to brag about what they have.   

@coffee drinker 

Starting price is 45k just to "rent", which is basically what a lease is.

You know how people say that it's stupid to rent an apartment because you are basically just throwing money away, because the place is never truly yours? That's how I feel about leasing a vehicle. Just throwing money away on something that will never be truly yours. Even if you finance, at some point, the payments will end, and the vehicle will be 100% yours. But I know that everybody here pays for their vehicles in cash, right? *wink*

Leasing cars work for many people and are the best way for them to save money especially if they can write it off for business purposes.  You don't know anyone's situation and I find your comments to be not so nice.

BTW, I paid cash for my last two cars and haven't had a car payment in years. I tend to drive my cars until the wheels fall off, so I have a lot of time to save up in case I need a new one.

Respected Contributor

Re: Our soon to be new car

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@coffee drinker wrote:

@Mersha I totally agree with you because I read that post yesterday.  Hope those "internet terrorists" don't take down the electric grid like they did with the gas pipeline in the SE part of the country. 

I wondered if this post is a way for someone to brag about what they have.   

@coffee drinker 

Starting price is 45k just to "rent", which is basically what a lease is.

You know how people say that it's stupid to rent an apartment because you are basically just throwing money away, because the place is never truly yours? That's how I feel about leasing a vehicle. Just throwing money away on something that will never be truly yours. Even if you finance, at some point, the payments will end, and the vehicle will be 100% yours. But I know that everybody here pays for their vehicles in cash, right? *wink*

I do. Always have, always will. Whether or not you (or anyone else) believe that is of no concern to me. 

Generally speaking, there are a number of braggarts here, but I take it all with a grain of salt. The overt jealousy and animosity towards people who may have more than others is just as tacky as the bragging. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

We always pay cash for our vehicles too, by planning ahead and putting $$ away in a 'car fund'.

To see the total amount you pay for the car including finance charges is staggering! 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I paid cash 10 years ago when I bought my Dodge.  Although I must live within my budget, I like reading about 'how the other half lives'.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

We always pay cash for our vehicles too, by planning ahead and putting $$ away in a 'car fund'.

To see the total amount you pay for the car including finance charges is staggering! 

I think for the average person today, financing a car is the only way they can own one. 

Valued Contributor

Except if you live in Ohio; they make you pay more for your license plate sticker if you have a hybrid/or an all electric car.  Robbery; when half the cars I see on the road have an outdated sticker or no plate at all.  I notice these things; why don't the police/highway patrol?

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise 

You're right about the distractions although I do like the back up camera and heated seats.

What I don't l like is that there is no option to use a key to start it so if the remote battery goes dead, it's a call to AAA.