Honored Contributor

Order Of Application Of Foundation And Eyeshadow

I was reading a blog on do you put your foundation or eyeshadow on first in applying your makeup. Makeup artist are spilt on the order. I have always put my foundation on first, then do my eyes, blush, powder,and a lip product. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Order Of Application Of Foundation And Eyeshadow

Since about 18 foundation first and over the eye, then the eye makeup.  Lipstick last.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Foundation first, always for me. Then a shadow primer, then shadow.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always put on eye make up first.  Otherwise I am putting my hand on my face makeup as I apply eye makeup.  I also base the intensity or colors I use for blush or highlight based on my eye makeup.  Also don't have to deal with "fall out" of eye makeup on my foundation.   I don't think a makeup artist has those same problems in application.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

I do my eyes first just in case there's fallout or I mess up.

Honored Contributor

I do foundation, concealer and powder first.  Then I do my eyeshadow, brow gel, liner, mascara and then back to brow pencil.  I do my blush after everything else is applied because otherwise I have a tendency to put too much blush on and I look like a clown.      

Respected Contributor

I do the eye area first, then foundation. As other posters have mentioned, clean up can be done around the finished eye and on cheeks to remove any mistakes or flakes. The foundation is then applied for a clean, smudge-free finish.

Honored Contributor

I would probably put on my foundation first out of habit but it would be better to do eye makeup first incase eye shadow powder ends up around the eyes and mascara too.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

I have always done my foundation and a light dusting of powder first before eye lid primer and eyes.

If you're concerned about shadow fallout, just press a folded tissue under your eye to catch the occasional crumb. 

Trusted Contributor

Lol, shows you how little I know.  Never knew there was an order for applying foundation or eyeshadow.  That's why these boards are so much fun.  I learn something everyday.