Respected Contributor

Re: Order Of Application Of Foundation And Eyeshadow

I do my face first and then my eyes.
Honored Contributor

I always thought foundation was like the foundation of a house. You put everything on top of it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I was reading a blog on do you put your foundation or eyeshadow on first in applying your makeup. Makeup artist are spilt on the order. I have always put my foundation on first, then do my eyes, blush, powder,and a lip product. 

@Jordan2 

Makeup artists are split on the order?  What would be the benefit of putting on eye shadow first and then putting on foundation?   Just half kidding here, bu why not put on lipstick first, then foundation?   

Back in the day, moisturizer and foundation came first, as a blank canvas for what comes next.   

And ... perhaps the key point here .... does it really matter?  Sometimes it's just about personal preference, as opposed to "the correct order" of application.  JMO, of course.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I was reading a blog on do you put your foundation or eyeshadow on first in applying your makeup. Makeup artist are spilt on the order. I have always put my foundation on first, then do my eyes, blush, powder,and a lip product. 

@Jordan2 

Makeup artists are split on the order?  What would be the benefit of putting on eye shadow first and then putting on foundation?   Just half kidding here, bu why not put on lipstick first, then foundation?   

Back in the day, moisturizer and foundation came first, as a blank canvas for what comes next.   

And ... perhaps the key point here .... does it really matter?  Sometimes it's just about personal preference, as opposed to "the correct order" of application.  JMO, of course.

@Tinkrbl44 I think this was just a fun light-hearted thread.  Nothing to be taken too seriously.

Some eyeshadows can have a lot of fallout so people prefer to do their eyes first so the fallout can easily be cleaned off.  If you have already applied all your face make-up and you have a lot of fallout from shadow, it could create a mess that doesn't always easily wipe away with a brush. 

I see people do their brows first before anything and I don't know how they do that.  Mine would be a mess with foundation.         

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2   Hi. Everyone's different. Some women get dressed before makeup so they can co-ordinate eyes or lips. On myself, I prefer skincare first and then, since don't do foundation, I do eyes next. I do lips after shadow and before blush to see that it all evens out. 

If someone wears a powder foundation, it's easier to fluff away shadow fallout w/ a large powder brush. 

Fun thread.

Esteemed Contributor

Funny....I thought everybody put on foundation first. It wouldn't occur to me to work on my eyes first.....

Trusted Contributor

I never do eyes first, as I would get foundation, concealer and powder on my lashes-so I do, foundation, concealer, powder, eyeliner mascara and lips...I don't wear eyeshadow.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it