Respected Contributor

Re: Oprah loses $27 million in WW shares

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

OK-  I just went to read the financial news instead of believing Wendy.  You all who are gloating about Oprah might not even want to go look.

Someone on Wendy's staff needs to read more than headlines!

Did you see Wendy Williams?  I didn't see the show but it's hard to tell just from what was contained in the OP exactly what Wendy's take on all this was.  Maybe Wendy did in fact state that even though Oprah lost $27m, she's still money ahead.  Maybe the OP left that out.

@Lipstickdiva - I think Wendy was making a point that just because Oprah invested in WW - she should have picked someone else to represent the company other than herself.  She wasn't the best choice.  I agee that Oprah investing in the company hasn't caused the stock to drop - there are bigger problems. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think Oprah has helped at all. 

Too may people dislike her to begin with, whether that's deserved or not.

Plus, she always has to be the star, just look at her magazine covers, and I don't believe her yo-yo diet habits speak to success.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Hi JJsMom Smiley Happy

I've always heard that, also, but WW is saying it's not true.  I don't know...

Re: fruit, I have read that the high fiber somehow cancels out part of the sugar contained and that's why WW can call a moderate or light amount "Free."

It's been a couple of years since the studies came out so I don't know about peer review.

Hi, Noel!

Fiber can make you feel fuller and keep you from overeating. That part is true. Choosing foods that are not calorie-dense (like broccoli and lean meats) leaves you feeling fuller on a lower amount of calories. However, the actual calories are still the same. If you eat more calories than you burn, whether it's in Twinkies or broccoli and fruit, you will gain weight.

I lost 10 lbs. tracking my calories on MyFitnessPal, and I didn't cut out anything. I ate anything I wanted but in moderation. I enjoyed bread, rice, cookies, and ice cream ... just not a ton of it. MFP will track your macro nutrients for you too (carbs, protein, fat). You can use that to make sure you're getting the right balance.

The best part is MFP is free. For those who don't want to pay for WW, I highly recommend it!

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

I don't dislike Oprah, but I'm also not in awe of her or especially impressed by her.  She has over-promoted herself, rather than others promoting or over-promoting  her. Not cool.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I give her credit for trying to succeed with a very difficult issue. However, I think she needed to choose a different spokesperson.

When Oprah comes on in the latest advertisement and says " I love bread," and "I can finally eat bread", I chuckled. How many of us haven't had to give up bread in order to lose weight?" I sure could relate.

Respected Contributor

The loss has been all over the news the last few days. And WW did not hire Oprah, she is now part owner of the company. I believe now, she's lost close to 40 pounds.

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Hi JJsMom Smiley Happy

I've always heard that, also, but WW is saying it's not true.  I don't know...

Re: fruit, I have read that the high fiber somehow cancels out part of the sugar contained and that's why WW can call a moderate or light amount "Free."

It's been a couple of years since the studies came out so I don't know about peer review.

Hi, Noel!

Fiber can make you feel fuller and keep you from overeating. That part is true. Choosing foods that are not calorie-dense (like broccoli and lean meats) leaves you feeling fuller on a lower amount of calories. However, the actual calories are still the same. If you eat more calories than you burn, whether it's in Twinkies or broccoli and fruit, you will gain weight.

I lost 10 lbs. tracking my calories on MyFitnessPal, and I didn't cut out anything. I ate anything I wanted but in moderation. I enjoyed bread, rice, cookies, and ice cream ... just not a ton of it. MFP will track your macro nutrients for you too (carbs, protein, fat). You can use that to make sure you're getting the right balance.

The best part is MFP is free. For those who don't want to pay for WW, I highly recommend it!

Hi @JJsMom

I wish I had copies of the research, it would have a much better explanation than I Smiley Happy

I agree with your plan of losing weight, and congratulations!  The push nowadays seems to be portion control, and companies are jumping on the bandwagon.  I see many ads for portion control containers.

I like a sandwich for lunch, if not salad all the time.  I get the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, multigrain.    Works fine for me.

Respected Contributor

And the new program is great.  I lost 16 pounds the first month, I couldnt do that in 6 months on the old program.!! AS for Oprah being a spokesperson, why not?  Im sure they'll be others, but she has lost and gained, and lost and gained over the years..this is suppose to be a lifestyle change.  Liquid fasts and pre packaged food is not sustainable.  You have to live your life .

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I know this thread is about Oprah and her money but there seems to be some misconception about the idea that "a calorie is just a calorie" that we learned ages ago. It's just not the case anymore when calories are being associated with losing weight and just being healthy in general.

I'm making this point because I know there are a lot of women who struggle with trying to lose weight and I was one of them. If you're honestly thinking I can eat 1200 calories a day of whatever I want and as long as I burn 1700 calories a day I can still lose a pound a week, understand that while that may be true the question is, at what cost to your body? 

If you're serious about weight loss, please do yourself a favor and Google "Are all calories equal." Or maybe "Are all calories the same for weight loss?" or any combination of those that makes sense to you. You'll be doing yourself a favor in so many ways...appetite control, heart health, muscle mass, etc. 

I think we all get that all calories aren't equal as far as being healty.  JJsmom acknowledged that above.  We were only discussing calories as far as weightloss goes only.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I know this thread is about Oprah and her money but there seems to be some misconception about the idea that "a calorie is just a calorie" that we learned ages ago. It's just not the case anymore when calories are being associated with losing weight and just being healthy in general.

I'm making this point because I know there are a lot of women who struggle with trying to lose weight and I was one of them. If you're honestly thinking I can eat 1200 calories a day of whatever I want and as long as I burn 1700 calories a day I can still lose a pound a week, understand that while that may be true the question is, at what cost to your body? 

If you're serious about weight loss, please do yourself a favor and Google "Are all calories equal." Or maybe "Are all calories the same for weight loss?" or any combination of those that makes sense to you. You'll be doing yourself a favor in so many ways...appetite control, heart health, muscle mass, etc. 

I think we all get that all calories aren't equal as far as being healty.  JJsmom acknowledged that above.  We were only discussing calories as far as weightloss goes only.  Smiley Happy

Except that health and metabolism go hand in hand. So if someone says a chicken breast and several platefuls of broccoli are the same amount of calories as a candy bar and a soda (whatever that might be) that could be true. But, if someone were to say that those identical amounts of calories would be processed by our body in the same way and bring the same weight loss result...the answer would be no, they would not. There's a reason body builders choose protein powder over deep-dish pizza and why their carbs are complex rather than simple. What a calorie is made of makes a big difference, not only for our health, but in how our body burns it.