Respected Contributor

165 High school students from just outside of St. Louis went to Washington DC for the right to life march on a chartered bus. They left 2 hrs early to return home so they could get out of the path of the snowstorm but ended up getting trapped on the Penn Turnpike for 24 hrs in the snowstorm. They just got back home today , all safe and sound thank goodness. The parents and church were aware of the snow storm  of course but they went anyway.   I  would not have let my child go on that trip knowing the warnings for this huge dangerous snowstorm. I know they need to explore and grow but I think the risk was to high. I'm sure the parents were very nervous until they saw their children were home safe. What's your opinion?

Esteemed Contributor

I don'thave children or never had children.  My choice. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

If I was a parent, I would not have let my child go.  There were groups from Pennsylvania who had planned to attend and they cancelled because of the impending storm.

Valued Contributor

No thinking parent would have sent their child on such a trip and those in charge should be spanked.

I have doubted the brain power of such groups anyway. 

Honored Contributor

Id say the trip planners used very poor judgment in allowing it to go forward in light of the impending weather conditions. 

I suppose the kids were in constant contact with their parents on their cell phones but I would have worried about road conditions. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

We have no human children, however, that does not exclude me from having an opinion, and since that is the title of this thread?

I have too much respect for big and bad winter storms and ain't nothing out there in this world that is important enough for me to gamble my well being versus a killer winter storm?

Something I would not do myself, there is no way I would let any children, in my care, get on a bus to who knows what.

You asked for opinions and that is mine.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

There was a whole thread here as we built toward that storm in which almost all the posters said there was too much media hype about the storm -  the underlying message of the posts seemed to be that the storm wouldn't be as bad as they were making it out to be.  Maybe those parents felt the same way those posters here did.

And thanks be to heaven that the storm which was every bit as bad or worse than those media warnings left that bus load of kids alive and well.   Some families were not so lucky.

Honored Contributor

I definitely would not have deemed the trip so important that I would have let my child/children go and risk their lives!!!!  I also think those in charge should not have kept going and should have found a place for the group to stay and ride out the storm when it became obvious that the storm was not going to let up. Many bus companies refused to take groups out knowing the storm was predicted.  I also think that the PA turnpike and major highways should have been closed down until the snow eased up so this would not have happened.  It seems so many don't have the common sense to just stay put and insist on forging ahead - no matter what!!!

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

165 High school students from just outside of St. Louis went to Washington DC for the right to life march on a chartered bus. They left 2 hrs early to return home so they could get out of the path of the snowstorm but ended up getting trapped on the Penn Turnpike for 24 hrs in the snowstorm. They just got back home today , all safe and sound thank goodness. The parents and church were aware of the snow storm  of course but they went anyway.   I  would not have let my child go on that trip knowing the warnings for this huge dangerous snowstorm. I know they need to explore and grow but I think the risk was to high. I'm sure the parents were very nervous until they saw their children were home safe. What's your opinion?

As long as all is well and everyone is safe now, I'd say, everyone needs to rethink this for a next time. Glad all is well. Too late now.

Super Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I am a worry wart, and very protective of my son, so I would want us all to be at home and safe.

There will be another safe time to do this.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows