Esteemed Contributor

Having owned a charter bus/tour company that drove all over the U.S., Canada, and Alaska, this past weekend's travel in the eastern U.S. just about gave me PTSD. It is always the final call of the charter operator to make the decision to travel or not.

In 10 years, we had one trip that we cancelled en route due to impassible and dangerous roads. It was a two day trip to see George Strait in concert. We decided to turn the buses around before we got to the venue because the weather was worse where we were heading. What did we get for this action? A lawsuit in Small Claims Court by 15 of the passengers for not fulfilling the trip, even though everything about weather cancellations was spelled out in the contract they signed. Oh, well. 

When you have 52 souls on board, concern for their safety should always be the first priority.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Ridiculously stupid decision on the authorities' part, whoever they were and, as a parent, I would not have allowed my children to go.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

You can't fix stupid. The adults, all the way around this, are idiots. 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions Please

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

As near as I can tell, right to life groups only care about a life before it's born. They seem very hypocritical. I've never seen the right to life people at rallies against the dealth penalty, rallies to protect healthcare, rallies to fund education, programs to help children, or to help the homeless or anything else.

They don't care about those kids on the bus, they only care that those kids show up and be seen serving their needs.

This is a really unfair generalization of people. Most people don't wear their complete list of causes/beliefs/values stamped on their forehead, or all written on the same T shirt. We are all multi faceted, and just because of few pro lifers go off the rails and shoot up clinics, doesn't mean that all people who are pro life are so narrow minded as to only see one tree in the big forest of life.

And if you don't see right to life people supporting other life causes, like efforts to support homelessness, education, or funding programs for inner city and poverty stricken children, you aren't opening your eyes or your mind to see what is there, but are simply as narrow minded and prejudice as those few radicals you want to multiply into the masses on the other side.

Honored Contributor

This thread is about the weather that day and the decision to let the kids get on the bus and go.

It's not about the actual cause and I hope it doesn't turn into that and end up getting the thread poofed. 

Occasional Contributor

I live in the area of the PA turnpike. That stretch of the road is very hilly and in bad weather trucks would have a hard time.  We got 2ft of snow so I don't know why anyone in their right  mind would attempt to travel that day.  A lot of the churches in the area cancelled their trip to DC or left in the morning to make it home.

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

As near as I can tell, right to life groups only care about a life before it's born. They seem very hypocritical. I've never seen the right to life people at rallies against the dealth penalty, rallies to protect healthcare, rallies to fund education, programs to help children, or to help the homeless or anything else.

They don't care about those kids on the bus, they only care that those kids show up and be seen serving their needs.

Well I guess you can't tell much except for a narrow biased opinion of what you deem offensive to what you believe.

I am not pro or against but I know that there are a ton of groups like this that go above and beyond to help or volunteer at shelters, half way houses and soup kitchens as well as  other specific things you listed.

As for health care that is interesting exactly what is it you want protected? Abortion? birth control? I dare say if these are religious groups that would be a conflict don't you think?

And Catholic Charities donates and assist with all these matters so stop painting such a bias broad brush.

Esteemed Contributor

I would not have sent my child.  And I am wondering what the organizers of the bus trip were thinking.  This was a huge snow event.  Just got plowed out today - five days later.  The roads near us are finally cleared but it took one plow and two front end loaders over an hour just to do our little circle and street.  

Respected Contributor

Putting aside any philosophical issues, they must have been out of their minds to send those kids here in front of that storm. It would be more understandable if this had been a freak storm that no one had predicted; however, all of the local news stations were warning us about this storm almost a week ahead of time. As early as Tuesday evening, they were telling us to have everything we'd need to survive for several days without power no later than noon on Thursday so we wouldn't have to leave our homes once the storm hit. Although most local jurisdictions performed better than expected this time, the Washington metropolitan area is notorious for its poor response to snow storms. Happily, everyone got home safe & sound.

Honored Contributor

No, I wouldn't have let the children go.  When we were teens and started to drive and ride in cars with other drivers, we weren't allowed to go out in snow.