Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:
You mean the governors and mayors who don’t follow their own guidelines?

@Puppy Lips  I don't see the point in these guidelines if they are going to be different for each state or non existent at all. What's the point? They need to be the same for the whole country. Follow them or don't. 

So the people in rural Alaska should be given the same guidelines as those in NYC?? That doesn't make any sense.

@ThinkingOutLoud  I'm talking about state guidelines, not city guidelines. I live in NY State. Our guidelines are totally different than NYC. It doesn't sound like you knew that. 

Honored Contributor

Re: One in One Thousand

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Puppy Lips  I don't see the point in these guidelines if they are going to be different for each state or non existent at all. What's the point? They need to be the same for the whole country. Follow them or don't. 

So the people in rural Alaska should be given the same guidelines as those in NYC?? That doesn't make any sense.

@ThinkingOutLoud 

Well, yes, early on it would have helped.

Quick action, unified goals, containment of infection while case numbers, and infection rates were still low, would have made a big difference.

Now, sadly that horse is out of the barn.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In Los Angeles county right now, someone is dying every 10 minutes from COVID.  Hospital capacity is at 0%.  They are currently discussing prioritizing treatment for those who have the greatest chance of survival.  It is both scary and sad.  

ETA:  These are not entitled people who are flaunting the stay at home order.  These are folks who live in multi-family housing and need to work in order to eat every day.   

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Many Americans feel entitled.  They do as they please when they please.  They do it in America and abroad and when they get arrested and jailed, they are shocked and expect somone to rescue them.

Guidelines are not laws, they are not mandatory either.  Even in states with mandatory rules, some people still do as they please and they get violent when confronted.

That's where the label Ugly Americans came from. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Honored Contributor

What is sad is that there are treatment out there that  can minimize the effects of Covid and prevent the use of ventilators but not available to most - just the privileged!  Those treatments should be made priority just as the vaccines are!!  In my area, treatments for Covid vary according to who can afford them.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I fear that people have become inured to the stats and don't make that empathetic leap to pictures then as individuals, human beings.

And what is up with someone posting something that sounds very much like a minimizing of the numbers by comparing it to another pandemic?

You're exactly right, we have become inured.

As for the second point all I can say is-and the band played on.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

History books will reveal exactly who did what and who belongs in prison for unforgivable acts. 

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

The federal government has very little power in matters such as this, unless martial law is declared.  The best they can do is provide information and help if requested.  It is up to the individual states from there, how it was designed.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

And still, too many people don't care.  The lack of empathy and concern about spreading the virus is appalling.

A friend of mine died of covid.  A brother and a BIL are recovering from covid and it'll be a long time before their lungs are normal again...if they ever are.