Esteemed Contributor
You mean the governors and mayors who don’t follow their own guidelines?
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Frequent Contributor

Re: One in One Thousand

[ Edited ]

@elated wrote:

I was doing research and nearly 2.4 million people die each year in the U.S. Nearly 45,000 die in road accidents. Homicides, drunk driving and poisoning kill 17,000 people a year. These are disturbing facts and this does not minimize what is happening in our country but we need some perspective. It is strange we have no deaths from the flu. I am just trying to say we have to realize many people who have succumbed to Covid may have had underlying causes. I think life goes on and sorrow is part of it.

Flu deaths aren’t zero @elated  they’re just lower than the past so far, we thank our lucky stars and Higher Power for that imho & hope it continues.The other stats you post are the terrible death numbers for recent years and very sorrowful & terrible but they didn’t fill up hospitals to capacity & bring medical staff to their breaking point which is what the EXTRA burden of COVID has done.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Puppy Lips  I don't see the point in these guidelines if they are going to be different for each state or non existent at all. What's the point? They need to be the same for the whole country. Follow them or don't. 

Frequent Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

Our friend died yesterday morning from Covid after being on a ventilator in ICU for over 2 weeks.  I’m sad that he had to be one of the “one in one thousand”. 

So sorry for your loss @itsmagic . 💔🙏

Esteemed Contributor

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html

Pneumonia and Influenza Mortality Surveillance from the National Center for Health Statistics Mortality Surveillance System

Information for selected week and previous two weeks, national summary, all ages

Week Number of Influenza Deaths Number of Pneumonia Deaths Total Deaths Percent Complete

Selected Week (week 50)21,89121,75845.7%
Week 49145,42345,12894.8%
Week 48177,51457,018> 100%
The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor
And so many leaders did NOT follow guidelines they expected everyone else to. Do as I say....
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Frequent Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

The impact of this pandemic cannot be measured by mortality rates alone, although they are bad enough.  People are suffering long term effects from Covid and the toll on healthcare workers, first responders etc. is simply tragic.  People no doubt already have and will suffer from PTSD, in part because so many have disregarded basic preventative measures for a variety of very sad reasons.

Very true @tucsongal.

Frequent Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@elated wrote:

I was doing research and nearly 2.4 million people die each year in the U.S. Nearly 45,000 die in road accidents. Homicides, drunk driving and poisoning kill 17,000 people a year. These are disturbing facts and this does not minimize what is happening in our country but we need some perspective. It is strange we have no deaths from the flu. I am just trying to say we have to realize many people who have succumbed to Covid may have had underlying causes. I think life goes on and sorrow is part of it.

@elated  I really don't go by any of the posted statistics. They can come from anywhere and all be different. That being said, yes people die from all the reasons you listed which is part of life. However, I have been lucky to not know anyone who died from these awful ways. Have I know anyone who's died from COVID? It's up to 8 people my husband was friends with that have passed away. A town of maybe 13,000 people. For me, that is the way I must relate to this horrible pandemic. 

So sorry for your & DH's losses @proudlyfromNJ . 💔🙏

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:
And so many leaders did NOT follow guidelines they expected everyone else to. Do as I say....

@Puppy Lips  Maybe if the leader would set an example and lead, it would be different. It's turned into a free for all. 

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Puppy Lips  I don't see the point in these guidelines if they are going to be different for each state or non existent at all. What's the point? They need to be the same for the whole country. Follow them or don't. 

So the people in rural Alaska should be given the same guidelines as those in NYC?? That doesn't make any sense.