Respected Contributor

As of today, one out of one thousand Americans is dead of covid.  I think of them and their families.

I also wish peace for those who will still die.  Hundreds of thousands.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: One in One Thousand

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

As of today, one out of one thousand Americans is dead of covid.  I think of them and their families.

I also wish peace for those who will still die.  Hundreds of thousands.

That is certainly disturbing. 

I worry what the next year holds for us. I'm worried the worst may be yet to come. I'm thankful for the vaccine, but we all aren't going to be vaccinated. If people refuse to wear a mask, I can't imagine them being willing to be vaccinated. 

Hopefully those of us who want it will be able to get it.

Esteemed Contributor

For comparison....this is less than 0.1% of the US population while the Spanish flu pandemic killed an estimated 1-2 % of the population.  Appears we are much better at preventing and treating these viruses.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Our friend died yesterday morning from Covid after being on a ventilator in ICU for over 2 weeks.  I’m sad that he had to be one of the “one in one thousand”. 

Respected Contributor

CNN has been running a documentary about the 1918 pandemic.  It's worth watching if for no other reason, it shows how human beings fought isolation and distancing then as they do now for various reasons that cannot be discussed here.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

I fear that people have become inured to the stats and don't make that empathetic leap to pictures then as individuals, human beings.

And what is up with someone posting something that sounds very much like a minimizing of the numbers by comparing it to another pandemic?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Comparison using 2020 numbers.

Germany has @1/4 the population of the USA

Germany has had 30,900 COVID Deaths

America could have done better.

This is Math - Not Politics.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

Our friend died yesterday morning from Covid after being on a ventilator in ICU for over 2 weeks.  I’m sad that he had to be one of the “one in one thousand”. 

@itsmagic, how heartbreaking. I am so sorry.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I'm so sorry, @itsmagic.

Highlighted
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is baiting