Honored Contributor

Re: One Of The Best Karma Stories

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I think Karma is something that we tell ourselves to feel better when we feel cheated about something.

If we are not around to see them "get theirs", then how do we know for a fact that they do "get theirs"?

Is Karma only for bad deeds?

What about the guy who won the money?

Isn't that good Karma?

Also, what about good people who have bad things happen to them?

Did they deserve the "bad Karma"?

Or, the bad person who never suffers for their misdeeds.

So, yeah, I think laughing as we say, "Karma's gonna get'em!", is something that we say, to make ourselves feel better, and smug even, when soemething happens that we don't like.

Yup. I enjoyed the story, of course, but I don't believe is cosmic connections; I do think that while fascinating, they are all random.

I just wanted to say that although I do think it is a way of making yourself feel better, that people want to believe that the dots are somehow connected, I don't really see smugness in this, more a poignant need for feeling important and worthy in what I strongly believe is a cold, heartless universe devoid of feeling.

And yes, I know my thoughts will not win me awards around here. But hey, good to hear another, different voice, eh?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

LOL heck I dont know about good or bad karma....I think is meant as some lesson by the title of the news story. I guess the good karma came to the guy who didnt punch the stuffing out of the man who butted in line? (alot of people would have) The bad karma was supposed to be representative of the inpatient man whose feeling of entitlement who butt in line........impatience not being rewarded as the end result? Heck now Im cornfused. @Plaid Pants2  hahahahaha!! Now ya made me think too hard and my karma will be mental constipation LOOOOL (brain of that Limburger cheese you had mentioned) LOL

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I think Karma is something that we tell ourselves to feel better when we feel cheated about something.

If we are not around to see them "get theirs", then how do we know for a fact that they do "get theirs"?

Is Karma only for bad deeds?

What about the guy who won the money?

Isn't that good Karma?

Also, what about good people who have bad things happen to them?

Did they deserve the "bad Karma"?

Or, the bad person who never suffers for their misdeeds.

So, yeah, I think laughing as we say, "Karma's gonna get'em!", is something that we say, to make ourselves feel better, and smug even, when something happens that we don't like.

@Plaid Pants2 All good questions. I believe in the bad Karma that what goes around comes around. I may not be there to see it but feel it will happen sooner or later.

Bad stuff happens to good people every day I don't blame that on Karma. Little kids get cancer & that's not Karma either. I guess we all look at things differently.

So, there is only bad Karma?

There is never any good Karma?

What about the guy who actually won the money? Isn't that win considered good Karma?

Does it make you feel smug, happy to tell yourself "He'll get his!"? 

I'm not trying to start an argument, but just saying that we say things to make ourselves feel better all the time, when there is zero proof that the bad guy ever does suffer, no matter how much we may want them to.

When something bad happens to you, is that bad Karma getting you?

Or does it never effect you, only other people that you don't like?

What about all those people who were injured in the train crash in New Jersey.

Did all of them deserve to suffer from bad Karma that was the crash?

Why or why not?

@Plaid Pants2 

Nothing smug about it. I think most people probably have the satisfaction of knowing what goes around comes around without having to see it.

I feel like the guy that won the money was lucky not that he had good Karma.

When something bad happens to me it's Karma, bad luck or just meant to be.

Nobody deserves to be injured in a train crash. That's not Karma.

Honored Contributor

For all you know the guy that won could have won anyway. He might have bought more than 1 ticket

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Random Karma.

I like that for a band name.

@QueenDanceALot  It sounds like a Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavor to me. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

For all you know the guy that won could have won anyway. He might have bought more than 1 ticket

All I know is in the story, which didn't say that so no, I don't think he would have.

@I do think that people are overthinking this nice story much too much.  I enjoyed it. If you want to do mental acrobotics with it as @Plaid Pants2 did, have at it. I'm just going to enjoy the story.

Honored Contributor

I don't think that anyone is overthinking the story itself; rather, I think that @Plaid Pants2 was riffing on the saying you included in your opening post. Nothing wrong with a little philosophizing now and then. It certainly beats the same-old, same-old mind-numbing discussions we often see here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Something similar happened to my husband last year.  He was waiting to buy a couple of lottery tickets.  They guy in front of him started yelling at the clerk because she printed out the wrong kind of tickets for him.  My husband stepped in and said he would take them, because the clerk would have had to put up the money herself.

He won $1200!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

Something similar happened to my husband last year.  He was waiting to buy a couple of lottery tickets.  They guy in front of him started yelling at the clerk because she printed out the wrong kind of tickets for him.  My husband stepped in and said he would take them, because the clerk would have had to put up the money herself.

He won $1200!

Wow!

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Exactly!

The guy could have played specific numbers, and no matter who cut in front of him, he still would have chosen to play those numbers.

It's not like he won the lottery because he was the tenth person in line, and not the nineth.