Honored Contributor

You may be sitting on a little windfall.  Or a big one.

I found a thin stack of US Savings bonds going back to the day I was baptized and a few years after and the face value was about $325.

They gave me $10, 996 at the bank when I went to cash them in.  

The teller told me they had stopped accruing for almost 2 decades when I asked her if I didn't cash them in right then and waited.

Honored Contributor

Where have the dividends been going?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Where have the dividends been going?

They could've very well been re-invested, so until someone came across the stock certificate, ownership wouldn't have been apparent. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I came across this old stock in my dad's papers. The company was bought out by Union Pacific.

I don't know if it's worth anything, but it's nice to have!😊

IMG_20200619_180811.jpg

Contact investor relations at Union Pacific. I have no idea how much it might be worth, but I can tell you from experience that cashing it in will require a fair amount of easy, though tedious work on your part. Be prepared to provide a copy of a death certificate, something that proves you have the authority to act on his behalf, and find a notary. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

It's worth looking into.  As someone said, maybe it's not worth money but what do you have to lose?