Honored Contributor

Oh Hoverboard purchasers.....

http://ktla.com/2015/12/30/caught-on-video-hoverboard-fire-on-koreatown-sidewalk-prompts-lafd-respon...

Pretty impressive, in a bad way. And this wasn't a cheapie board and it had a Samsung battery.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Oh Hoverboard purchasers.....

I saw the one on fire at the mall.  On ABC World News. 

Then they showed Mike Tyson go down while riding one (in the house). 

They played it over and over like it was America's Funniest Videos.

Those things are dangerous.  Seems to me more ambulances will be called (for people cracking their skulls open) than fire engines.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw a montage of falls too, including Mike Tyson. They would appear to need more than a little practice. Expensive toys that are fine in theory but suk in execution.

Honored Contributor

Met a young boy riding his Hoverboard along the sidewalk and got a whole lesson on how he understands you avoid a fire as well as a demonstration lesson on how to ride one.  His parting words as he rolled away "Oh, you need really good balance, too."

If I hadn't already seen so many pictures of disastrous fires and falls, I would have thought this delightful young man had a great toy.  He certainly thought he did.

Honored Contributor

On the news tonight they had a story about a priest on a hoverboard.  He was using it up and down the aisle during service.  I didn't hear them say where it was.  He was removed from his duties after the service.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

On the news tonight they had a story about a priest on a hoverboard.  He was using it up and down the aisle during service.  I didn't hear them say where it was.  He was removed from his duties after the service.

It was in the Phillipines and on Xmas Eve. I don't think he would have been suspended if it hadn't been Xmas Eve - really bad judgment there.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Met a young boy riding his Hoverboard along the sidewalk and got a whole lesson on how he understands you avoid a fire as well as a demonstration lesson on how to ride one.  His parting words as he rolled away "Oh, you need really good balance, too."

If I hadn't already seen so many pictures of disastrous fires and falls, I would have thought this delightful young man had a great toy.  He certainly thought he did.

It's a calculated risk for some kind of accident/disaster to happen. It might not happen but if I were a parent I wouldn't risk it at this point. And as an adult, not sure I could sleep very well with it in the house.

Esteemed Contributor

And those that be are worried about concussions in football and soccer? At least in football you protection between your head and the pavement, and a person is actually getting some exercise.

And using one inside?

Unless a home has all counters/tables etc all with rounded edges, add deep lacerations to the injury list. I look for some them to be assigned age appropriate, which is 18 and then responsible for yourself, and anyone else you may run over.  Ahhhh! Lawsuits anyone?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

And those that be are worried about concussions in football and soccer? At least in football you protection between your head and the pavement, and a person is actually getting some exercise.

And using one inside?

Unless a home has all counters/tables etc all with rounded edges, add deep lacerations to the injury list. I look for some them to be assigned age appropriate, which is 18 and then responsible for yourself, and anyone else you may run over.  Ahhhh! Lawsuits anyone?

hckynut(john)

In California helmets are required and the age of riding on public streets/sidewalks is 16, and only where posted speed limits are 35 mph or less.

Honored Contributor

Just like the scooters from a few years back..........the hoverboards will be discarded by the side of the road

♥Surface of the Sun♥