Honored Contributor

Re: Oh Hoverboard purchasers.....

No thanks!  Mine would have to have three wheels......Oh, wait!  And a seat!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

I think they are fun. We have one. My daughter wears a helmet. Knee and elbow pads. It's really a great way to increase balance and core strength. We are careful with charging. She wears protective gear. And we don't let her do it alone or far. She uses it on our driveway/sidewalks... A lot of people are not careful at all. As far as bumps and bruises are concerned people need to exercise common sense. But those things can happen riding a bike, playing football, doing cheerleading etc. the fires yes. They are a worry. And bikes don't explode. But truth is the risk can be easily reduced like not over charging it.
Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Met a young boy riding his Hoverboard along the sidewalk and got a whole lesson on how he understands you avoid a fire as well as a demonstration lesson on how to ride one.  His parting words as he rolled away "Oh, you need really good balance, too."

If I hadn't already seen so many pictures of disastrous fires and falls, I would have thought this delightful young man had a great toy.  He certainly thought he did.

It's a calculated risk for some kind of accident/disaster to happen. It might not happen but if I were a parent I wouldn't risk it at this point. And as an adult, not sure I could sleep very well with it in the house.

Yeah, I think that it comes with too many instructions that you have to worry about, as in, "Don't do this with it, don't overcharge it, etc." I wouldn't feel comfortable having one around in my home, either. 

Respected Contributor

This is where buying a cheaper knock off is not a good idea.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Toppers wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Met a young boy riding his Hoverboard along the sidewalk and got a whole lesson on how he understands you avoid a fire as well as a demonstration lesson on how to ride one.  His parting words as he rolled away "Oh, you need really good balance, too."

If I hadn't already seen so many pictures of disastrous fires and falls, I would have thought this delightful young man had a great toy.  He certainly thought he did.

It's a calculated risk for some kind of accident/disaster to happen. It might not happen but if I were a parent I wouldn't risk it at this point. And as an adult, not sure I could sleep very well with it in the house.

Yeah, I think that it comes with too many instructions that you have to worry about, as in, "Don't do this with it, don't overcharge it, etc." I wouldn't feel comfortable having one around in my home, either. 

That's the thing - you could buy a "good" (more expensive) one with a "good" battery, be careful not to overcharge it, etc. and there is *still* a fairly high likelihood it could just combust wherever it is - home, car, airplane, train, in backpack or wherever. Our local Metro has just banned them.  Too much special handling to be worth it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

It has been painful watching all the hoverboard falls!  Good lord people, wear protective gear!  Especially head gear - many of these people fell back and hit their heads - I think any parent that got their child one of these should be rethinking it. 

Honored Contributor

They look like fun and I would like to try one, however, I am not willing to buy one yet.  Perhaps they will be safer in the future.  My family and I  are big ice skaters and balance pretty well.

i was shopping at a local mall last Wednesday and I was surprised at the number of kids there riding them.  I was waiting for security to come and ask them to leave, but no one came.

A mall crowded with people is not the place for these things.  I almost got run over.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MommaNJ wrote:
I think they are fun. We have one. My daughter wears a helmet. Knee and elbow pads. It's really a great way to increase balance and core strength. We are careful with charging. She wears protective gear. And we don't let her do it alone or far. She uses it on our driveway/sidewalks... A lot of people are not careful at all. As far as bumps and bruises are concerned people need to exercise common sense. But those things can happen riding a bike, playing football, doing cheerleading etc. the fires yes. They are a worry. And bikes don't explode. But truth is the risk can be easily reduced like not over charging it.

Most devices have a fail safe when it comes to charging (eg) smartphones and tablets.

I would like seeing a recall of all the boards with charging issues. Does this product have a UL sticker. http://ul.com/

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Toppers wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

That's the thing - you could buy a "good" (more expensive) one with a "good" battery, be careful not to overcharge it, etc. and there is *still* a fairly high likelihood it could just combust wherever it is - home, car, airplane, train, in backpack or wherever. Our local Metro has just banned them.  Too much special handling to be worth it.

I have seen some hoverboards online for 3K and up. They had a ship date of July 2016.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link and is a bumped thread.