Esteemed Contributor

Oculus quest 2 pkg

[ Edited ]

Will QVC have a special on this virtual reality bundle?  Evidently its very popular and averages about $100 more than last year ( betting its a chip shortage).

Regular Contributor

@patbz I have one. Bought it last November during Amazon's black Friday event. The price did increase by $100 in August, but it's claimed that it was raised because they felt they were losing money at the lower price. Now they are giving a free game along with the headset until the end of the year.

It never goes on sale. When I bought mine, the special deal was that Amazon was giving a $50 gift card for a future purchase, but the Quest was full price. Other big box stores did the same thing, but with their own store gift cards. If you are really interested, check the price on Tuesday when the current Prime day begins.

I love the Quest 2 - have always been fascinated with the VR concept and finally decided to buy it. I'm not a gamer and don't like shooters, but there are so many other games and VR experiences that I always find something to amaze and entertain me. If you are a gamer, you may be less awed, but it's become one of my favorite things.

One thing I wish I'd known when I bought mine is that there is a referral program. If a current owner gives you the link to their referral code, you need to activate the link before setting up your Quest and both of you will get a $30 credit towards games. 

I'd suggest checking out youtube videos about the unit - there are lots of them - to get an idea if it's something you'd enjoy. Same for the available games. Obviously they look enormously better in VR than on youtube, but you get an idea of what they're about. There are also many Facebook groups - a good one is Oculus Quest 2 - Beginner Friendly. 

If there are any questions you have that I can answer, let me know. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NigelSparkles :  Thanx for your informative reply.  I think Ill buy it during Prime week because I'm hoping Sams has some kind of matching incentive ( gift card etc).  Do I want the 128 gb or the 256 gb (there's $100 difference)?

Regular Contributor

Re: Oculus quest 2 pkg

[ Edited ]

@patbz The storage depends upon what kind of games you think you'd like. The more complicated games take more space. All the games and the headset operating system get updates very often and that takes up space as well. I'm not into those fantasy shoot 'em up heavy gamer things, prefer travel experiences, creative art apps and that kind of thing. There's a fabulous mini-golf game, and a great VR fishing in gorgeous, completely realistic locations. Also enjoy a pottery making game, painting and a cooking simulator. There's something for everyone.

I've got the 128 size. I've got a lot of apps on it and still have 71 free - so that's more than half. If you have games oyu don't use often, you can uninstall them to free up space if you run short, then reinstall if you want to play them. They don't go away once you have them in your library. If you think you'd want the more complicated games and lots of them, then the larger 256 might be the way for you to go. Like anything else, you should base it on your tastes and needs. By the way - have a look at the Oculus app store. You can get an idea of some of the games available and then look them up on youtube. On the app, if you scroll down on a particular game it gives info on it, including how much storage it takes up.

By the way, I was just in one of the Facebook groups and someone mentioned that they had been in their local Target. The store still had some Quests in stock at the old price of $299 for the 128. Someone else said they have Verizon as their phone carrier and it's being offered for the old price and would charge it onto a customer's phone bill if they bought one. Not sure either of those is an option for you, but it's possible that some of the other big box stores might have some older stock.

Honored Contributor

I would love to buy the OQ2....but I'm not happy to have it linked to Facebook account.  I'm not buying.  But @patbz, enjoy ...I'm sure it will be a great experience!

Regular Contributor

@phoenixbrd FYI, it's not longer a requirement for it to be linked to a Facebook account. That changed a month or so ago. You do have to create a Meta account, which is specifically for the Quest. It is the same company, but not attached to Facebook. I can understand the reluctance to deal with that company at all. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thanks @NigelSparkles ......great news!  Really concerned about the invasion of privacy and the selling of information.  Yea....now I can move on Quest 2.😘

Regular Contributor

@phoenixbrd I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. If you have any questions about it, give me a shout-out and I'll try to help.