Valued Contributor

There were 2 open houses this sunday on my block with people coming in and out

with the real estate agent  looking at the homes. I sure would not want people coming in

at this time.couldnot beleive it.

the real estate business must be getting hit hard as there busy time is april to august.

nobody is going to buy since they might not have a job tomorrow let alone to pay

a mortgage.

Honored Contributor

Re: OPEN HOUSES

[ Edited ]

We held an open house at my dads apt a week ago Sunday and it will be the last one for a while, there was another one in the building and I can not believe this. The door was open no agent anywhere around just some sell sheets on the table. Granted the area is really good but still, that was craziness

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

Hard to believe.  What state are you in.  I am in NJ and everything is closed down. 

Valued Contributor

I am in NJ also.  My daughter is in the process of selling her house and buying another.  This was in process before the virus.  There was an inspection in her house last week.  They limited who could be there.  I don't know what to say because I am abiding by the rules to stay in but it's very hard to put this kind of thing on hold when people really need to move by a certain date and mortgages are being paid on empty houses.  It's easy to say, Oh no, I wouldn't allow it unless you are in that position. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes- in NJ March is the start of peak real estate season, through June, especially just a couple of weeks ago with record low mortgage rates. I imagine everything is at a complete standstill now. Certainly no Open Houses. I feel for all those who are selling or planned to sell soon and for those who make their living in RE and the many related businesses. Moving comes with enough stress without adding CV to the mix!

Honored Contributor

several thoughts -    one is that all real estate is about location -   in my current location, I wouldn't want to hold or attend an open house, but there are whole states in the country with virtually no virus.  I suppose that could lead to a feeling of safety -  I'm still not a fan but would be slightly more understanding of why an open house might proceed.

Thought #2 -   the high RE season is different from place to place -  where I am in southern Florida, the high season draws to a close very soon instead of wanting to open up as in tn other climates.

Thought #3 -  knowing at least a bit about where events are taking places helps me put thatose events into a perspective that makes sense to me.  That's true for me even in good times, but really essential right now.

Honored Contributor

Here is Wisconsin, there were a few Open Houses over the weekend, but not sure how many people actually went to them.......I notice most of the Real Estate Agents are setting up appts only viewings......This is a tough time as like many of you mentioned April thru August is big buying/selling season, but with the virus and jobs possibly being unstable, people are probably very leery about such a purchase just now. On the bright side if you really want to buy you could probably get a really good deal.......

Honored Contributor

Especially if the house is empty why not?  Don't touch surfaces, look and get out, sanitize, don't get near other lookers, etc.

People don't buy and sell houses just for fun.  Sometimes you have to look, sell, buy. 

Honored Contributor

Who would want to buy or sell right now with this economic downturn and uncertainty? Add the disease to the mix.....

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Who would want to buy or sell right now with this economic downturn and uncertainty? Add the disease to the mix.....

@SeaMaiden  Next door neighbors house has been for sale for five days. I have seen the real estate there twice with people. Don’t know if it was same ones or not but yesterday they were there for over an hour. I assume it was the lady looking that walked all the way down the street and back so it seems they are interested. Haven’t had new neighbors there since the late eighties. 

Guess some people are looking.