Respected Contributor

If you cannot gloat after winning a big race in the Olympics when can you?  He is a great athlete celebrate this fir your country - a little gloat he earned it.  I am Brit but Phelps is doing a great job.  Enjoy.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

For the record, my comments were specific to his behavior in the pool immediately after winning.  

I didn't see the fake boxing thing or the death stare he responded with.  I'm more concerned with not gloating after winning.  The other shenanigans didn't interest me.

Okaayyy....you just ignore the back story as to the REAL reason he reacted the way he did. He's Human. 

Not only that Sunshine explained the Bawlmer (Baltimore) response to certain situations. He didn't give him the finger, for pete's sake.

Honored Contributor

Motioning for applause and indicating you are "number one" is obnoxious under any circumstances.  Let your win be your "gloat"; not your tacky behavior.

Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

For the record, my comments were specific to his behavior in the pool immediately after winning.  

I didn't see the fake boxing thing or the death stare he responded with.  I'm more concerned with not gloating after winning.  The other shenanigans didn't interest me.

Okaayyy....you just ignore the back story as to the REAL reason he reacted the way he did. He's Human. 

Not only that Sunshine explained the Bawlmer (Baltimore) response to certain situations. He didn't give him the finger, for pete's sake.

Again; I don't care how he acted during the national anthem.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

If you cannot gloat after winning a big race in the Olympics when can you?  He is a great athlete celebrate this fir your country - a little gloat he earned it.  I am Brit but Phelps is doing a great job.  Enjoy.

I think some people are just saying that gloating isn't very appealing or attractive.

YMMV

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

In this particular instance, if you didn't see what he was responding TO, your opinion (or anyone's) would be irrelevant. His actions would not have been the same if he hadn't been taunted by Le Clos for *years*, including deliberate, in-your-face inches away carp designed purposely to psyche him out only a short time before the race.

Phelps was simply stating in return "Didn't work. Who's #1 *now*, sucker?!"

He actually took a higher road than many would have in his place.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

interesting that when lily king won her event no one said anything about HER finger....

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/5e03bb4a068447c04d491bc494b14f0f649c01fe/c=61-0-968-682&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/08/07/USATODAY/USATODAY/636062063725510349-lilly-king-08-07.JPG

by the way, that is called a "mutombo finger wag"....or just a "finger wag."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

In this particular instance, if you didn't see what he was responding TO, your opinion (or anyone's) would be irrelevant. His actions would not have been the same if he hadn't been taunted by Le Clos for *years*, including deliberate, in-your-face inches away carp designed purposely to psyche him out only a short time before the race.

Phelps was simply stating in return "Didn't work. Who's #1 *now*, sucker?!"

He actually took a higher road than many would have in his place.

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

I have the utmost respect for his swimming ability and the hard work it involves.

I found it troubling that he was shaking his fist at his opponent after he came in first.

Poor sportsmanship.  It was also troubling that he was laughing at something going on in   

the arena during the playing of the National Anthem. 

its a "baltimore thing." when the national anthem is played at sporting events here, there are many that sing out the "O" quite loudly (in honor of the orioles.) michael had a lot of baltimore friends and family at the meet and they said "Ooooooo" during the national anthem, which caused him to smile/laugh.

@sunshine45  I saw large round spots on Michael, do you know what these are?

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

I have the utmost respect for his swimming ability and the hard work it involves.

I found it troubling that he was shaking his fist at his opponent after he came in first.

Poor sportsmanship.  It was also troubling that he was laughing at something going on in   

the arena during the playing of the National Anthem. 

its a "baltimore thing." when the national anthem is played at sporting events here, there are many that sing out the "O" quite loudly (in honor of the orioles.) michael had a lot of baltimore friends and family at the meet and they said "Ooooooo" during the national anthem, which caused him to smile/laugh.

@sunshine45  I saw large round spots on Michael, do you know what these are?

They are from "cupping", which is often part of acupuncture and Chinese medicine. Object is to increase blood flow. Several of the athletes are doing it. It leaves those marks for a few days. Google it for photos. Ouch!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all