Super Contributor

Re: Norwegian Cruise Drops Joan Rivers After Kidnapping Joke

Yes, from what I have seen of them they do appear strong, dignified, and classy -- some people could take lesson from them.
On 5/3/2014 esmerelda said:

Maybe because they're "strong and classy ladies" Joan felt comfortable with the joke(s).

Respected Contributor

Honestly, I think studies show that there is no "getting over" this kind of protracted trauma. It will follow them to the end of their days. They may build new lives, but the experiences obviously changed them, and are a part of who they have become. Healing ... I hope so.

Super Contributor

On 5/3/2014 Lavinia said:Yes, from what I have seen of them they do appear strong, dignified, and classy -- some people could take lesson from them.

Maybe because they're "strong and classy ladies" Joan felt comfortable with the joke(s).

I agree, they are strong and classy ladies, and strong survivors. They must have warrior spirit in them, but that doesn't mean they don't suffer inside..... just because a person appears strong on the outside, they could be crumbling inside. However, I am glad that one is sharing her story, I think it will be brutal, but a powerful message of hope for people that feel like they are suffering. If these ladies could survive such a horrific experience, then surely others can get through bad times. I'm grieving the loss of my dad, but he is in a better place, and for sure I am not suffering what these girls had to go through. We all have our trials and tribulations.... but I see them as a beacon of hope for others. I read that one of the young women is changing her name... perhaps she just wants a fresh start without any association to this tragedy?

Super Contributor

Well I am glad to see that others agree with me about Esmeralda's comment about getting past their ordeal. I would hope she was just trying to stir the pot but, unfortunately, I think not. Maybe she and Joan can get together and discuss how they would expect their daughters to past an experience like that.
Super Contributor

Yes, she will go by Lillian (lily, for short). I have nothing but admiration for how they have handled themselves and, quite frankly, only someone extremely dense, could possibly think they will get past this experience. Dealing with it is one thing, getting past it (which to me means forgetting about it for the most part) is another.
On 5/3/2014 Jules5280 said:
On 5/3/2014 Lavinia said:Yes, from what I have seen of them they do appear strong, dignified, and classy -- some people could take lesson from them.

I agree, they are strong and classy ladies, and strong survivors. They must have warrior spirit in them, but that doesn't mean they don't suffer inside..... just because a person appears strong on the outside, they could be crumbling inside. However, I am glad that one is sharing her story, I think it will be brutal, but a powerful message of hope for people that feel like they are suffering. If these ladies could survive such a horrific experience, then surely others can get through bad times. I'm grieving the loss of my dad, but he is in a better place, and for sure I am not suffering what these girls had to go through. We all have our trials and tribulations.... but I see them as a beacon of hope for others. I read that one of the young women is changing her name... perhaps she just wants a fresh start without any association to this tragedy?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like her humor and I will not defend what she says BUT it seems lately Free Speech is under attack. Hers was public... but you can only imagine what would happen if everything we said in private and in public was under scrutiny.

I am now a retired school teacher but you can only imagine what it felt like with kids hiding smart phones and taping everything you said or did.

Honored Contributor

I thought her answers below were actually funny

"When contacted for comment, “Fashion Police” star Rivers told us, “Of course they canceled me! They were terrified what I would say after seeing the size of their cabins. They should be featured on ‘Orange Is the New Black.’ ”

She added of the boat ban, “It’s insane. Why would [the joke] affect anyone in Norway?”

But she figured it was all for the best since “they would have had some very nervous Jews. When I got on board, I would have given the captain a Breathalyzer test. We would have brought our own life jackets, and slept in the lifeboats"

Super Contributor

On 5/3/2014 shoekitty said:

I thought her answers below were actually funny

"When contacted for comment, “Fashion Police” star Rivers told us, “Of course they canceled me! They were terrified what I would say after seeing the size of their cabins. They should be featured on ‘Orange Is the New Black.’ ”

She added of the boat ban, “It’s insane. Why would [the joke] affect anyone in Norway?”

But she figured it was all for the best since “they would have had some very nervous Jews. When I got on board, I would have given the captain a Breathalyzer test. We would have brought our own life jackets, and slept in the lifeboats"

Joan just keeps adding insult to injury.... she has backed herself into a corner and is trying to find a way out. An apology would be a good start. She's gross.

Respected Contributor

Quoting Kareem Abdul Jabbar:

""Moral outrage is exhausting. And dangerous. The whole country has gotten a severe case of carpal tunnel syndrome from the newest popular sport of Extreme Finger Wagging. Not to mention the neck strain from Olympic tryouts for Morally Superior Head Shaking.""

He was referring in part to the recent Clipper owner scandal but those words fit anytime a ""sever case"" is evident.

Super Contributor

On 5/3/2014 Free2be said:

Quoting Kareem Abdul Jabbar:

"Moral outrage is exhausting. And dangerous. The whole country has gotten a severe case of carpal tunnel syndrome from the newest popular sport of Extreme Finger Wagging. Not to mention the neck strain from Olympic tryouts for Morally Superior Head Shaking."

He was referring in part to the recent Clipper owner scandal but those words fit anytime a "sever case" is evident.

Just my opinion, but I think you are taking his comment out of context to suit your needs.