Respected Contributor

Re: Norwegian Cruise Drops Joan Rivers After Kidnapping Joke

She's a sicko. Her joke wasn't even the worst of it. Her follow-up remarks were way worse. I can't stand the sight of that miserable old witch.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

On 5/5/2014 JJsMom said:

She's a sicko. Her joke wasn't even the worst of it. Her follow-up remarks were way worse. I can't stand the sight of that miserable old witch.

I have to say I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Respected Contributor

On 5/5/2014 ILikeShade said:
On 5/5/2014 JJsMom said:

I have to say I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I'm with you two.

Respected Contributor

On 5/5/2014 Shyextrovert said: You know one of her common lines....oh grow up First point tasteful or tasteless is a matter of opinion and no one has the right to force me to go to a show I feel is tasteless. I also don't have the right to prevent others from attending if I feel it's tasteless. That said people need to take her advise and grow up. As a teacher I'm always having to remind people to mind their own business and they will have less issues. All of course free to comment, but keep this in mind as I heard her on the TV today discussing this and if you put what prompted her comment into perspective it was not the 3 held captive she was making fun of, but her daughter referring to her as Ariel Castro. Joan asked what the purpose of a comedian is? Her response then was to help us cope with daily life and thing we find to be horrific experiences. I grew up being taught if you can't laugh at yourself you have no business laughing at anyone else and laughter by the way is the best medicine for any thing and everything! Joan points out that 2 have wrote books and all 3 doing well and things as horrible as they were have turned around and did not end as a tragedy and if it did she would never joke about that. Think Norwegian made a mistake here, yes Joan can be obnoxious at times but who is not! She is a comedian and a very smart one at that so before you react negative (not the purpose of any comedian) relook at what you thought was the focal point of the joke and recheck as this again was not about the 3 girls held captive in Cleveland but about living as an adult in your child's home. The girls merely a common reference that all agree was horrible and fortunately turn out good, but could use to get her joke..

This is a well thought out response. I agree with some of it but not with all.

I agree that humor can take the sting out of a situation. It is my motto I'd rather laugh than cry. BUT, the difference is most of us are not on the national stage.

It matters not what the intent of her joke was. She still used what happened to these girls as a point of reference for a "joke". I said before I could picture one of these girls getting up in the morning maybe having a few moments when they weren't thinking about the tragedy. Turn on TODAY and there's this creep of a woman making a crude joke about the size of their room.

There's plenty of things to joke about. Some things SHOULD be off limits. If I'm remembering correctly it is believed that at least one of the girls Castro held or their babies died.

I, too, am concerned about how intrinsic the thought police is becoming. Just can't see my way clear to justify this as "humor". But I guess a woman who would joke about her own husband's suicide would say anything.

And if one of the girls wrote a book good for her. Doesn't change the Joan issue one iota.

Respectfully submitted. As I said this was a well written note.

Super Contributor

That was a sick thing to say........comedienne or not........there should be consequences. Frankly I don't see how she gets away with the things she says on QVC !

Super Contributor

When is it appropriate to be morally outraged? Only when Rush speaks?
Respected Contributor

Applaud Norwegian. I love comedians who push the limits - I'll watch Chelsea Handler, Kathy Griffin, Wanda Sykes, etc - but if/when any of them crosses the line, that's it. And with Joan, she's always made a point of doing so and there are some things that should not be incorporated as part of a joke - this is one of them.

Joan Rivers stopped being funny years ago - she needs to just go away!

Super Contributor

Ugh...I think Joan's internal filter has completely gone away. She USED to be funny; now she's just foul-mouthed and mean. And it's starting to cost her; maybe getting hit in the bottom line will get her attention. But I doubt it.

Super Contributor

On 5/14/2014 NanaS said:

That was a sick thing to say........comedienne or not........there should be consequences. Frankly I don't see how she gets away with the things she says on QVC !

I'll tell you why: when she on, stuff SELLS.

Honored Contributor

I have a feeling it wasn't that silly and very tame joke about the kidnapped women, I think they had second thoughts about Joan River's comedy, in general and they were terrified about what she would say about their cruise line if anything displeased her. I don't really understand all this outrage when Joan has said far worse, cruder, meaner things about other people. And there was never a peep on this board.