Esteemed Contributor

At least No problem is a response. There are many times you say thank you to 

someone like in a store for example and you get nothing back in return.

No it is not a you're welcome but it is better than hearing nothing at all.

That is rude unless they don't hear you.

Honored Contributor

I'm just happy that someone does something nice that elicits a Thank You and the friend rants on FB - that to me is rude

I'm on team no problem than you're welcome. I don't know when the transition happened and didn't know some views it as inappropriate until I saw it many times on this forum. There are many things that irk people here which I never thought about. I'm not as old as some but certainly not a millennial.

I say you're welcome in a sarcastic way -

You hold the door open and no acknowledgment- a nod, smile would do- I don't need a verbal Thank You. That's when I say You're Welcome loud and clear.

Honored Contributor

I almost always say "you're welcome."  But sometimes "no problem" is appropriate.  If you do someone a favor, like taking in their mail, and they thank you for it; "no problem" is an appropriate response.  Although I would probably say, "You're welcome; no problem."  But that's just me...

Respected Contributor

I say "no problem" and "you're welcome." I think ranting about this makes him look nitpicky and ungrateful.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

I suspect the OP's friend's complaint may have more to do with cashiers and such.  It really IS pretty stupid to say "no problem" when a customer thanks you for your change and receipt.  The answer to THAT transaction is "you're welcome."

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

I'm just happy that someone does something nice that elicits a Thank You and the friend rants on FB - that to me is rude

I'm on team no problem than you're welcome. I don't know when the transition happened and didn't know some views it as inappropriate until I saw it many times on this forum. There are many things that irk people here which I never thought about. I'm not as old as some but certainly not a millennial.

You hold the door open and no acknowledgment- a nod, smile would do- I don't need a verbal Thank You. That's when I say You're Welcome loud and clear.

@Yahooey 

Wait for it-somebody is sure to come along and say that they hold the door with no expectation of a thank you.  Dollars to donuts, for sure, because we have seen this before.

Hey, better than giving that person a swift kick in the butt.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

While I'm thinking of it, I also say "My pleasure" sometimes, but I doubt anyone under the age of 50 says that anymore.

Still not a big fan of the "no problem" thing in all "you're welcome" situations.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

@Yahooey 

Wait for it-somebody is sure to come along and say that they hold the door with no expectation of a thank you.  Dollars to donuts, for sure, because we have seen this before.

And here it is!!!  I hold a door or help someone with no expectation of a thank you!   It's just polite and something I rountinely do.  That is the way I was raised!!  Not getting a verbal thank you then sarcastically saying you're welcome is rude.  Either you do something to genuinely help someone or you just want to be seen as nice when in reality you are doing it for the wrong reasons!! 

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

I always find it so rude when there is no acknowledgment that you hold a door for someone.  And many times I say "You're Welcome!" when someone ignores it.

Sometimes I think the "no problem" response is kind of odd (like if someone gives you a gift, do you say "No Problem"? - that would be very odd to me), but it doesn't bother me.

There are way too many other things in life to be bothered about and I try to minimize all of the not important ones, like this.

Honored Contributor

Re: “No problem”

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

@Yahooey 

And here it is!!!  I hold a door or help someone with no expectation of a thank you!   It's just polite and something I rountinely do.  That is the way I was raised!!  Not getting a verbal thank you then sarcastically saying you're welcome is rude.  Either you do something to genuinely help someone or you just want to be seen as nice when in reality you are doing it for the wrong reasons!! 

I suppose that comment was directed at me - I never siad I needed a verbal thank you. A nod, smile would suffice - common courtesy