Valued Contributor

@shoekitty  You made me laugh out loud. So true. 

Honored Contributor

My dad was born in the 1920s and used this phrase.  I think he was embarrassed to be thanked for doing anybody a kindness.

Honored Contributor

I will admit the “no problem” response to thank you is annoying to me. How is saying thank you to someone a problem to begin with? (Rhetorical question). More appropriate responses are the standard “you’re welcome”, or “my pleasure”. “No problem” is a more appropriate response to an apology. But...who am I. No one...just another person with a differing opinion.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I don't mind it at all. A sweet young man was helping me  for a CT scan recently and when I thanked him for helping me, he answered me with "No problem." He was a real sweet guy and his smile lit up the room....

Respected Contributor

No problem for me.

Honored Contributor

I will never understand why some think "no problem" is rude!!  They are thanking someone for doing something and "no problem" is a positive response that is showing that what they did was nothing special and indicates that that person is a kind and thoughtful person all the time or is just doing their job.  The response of "you're welcome", to me, seems like that person wants praised and acknowledged for what they did which was probably something they should always be doing anyway.  It does appear to be somewhat old fashioned and narcissistic to me.  I don't need thanked for anything I do whether it's doing my job or helping someone out.  Saying "no problem" is just indicating  that I did nothinbg special - just being me and happy I could help out.  It's rude to consider it rude!!  

Respected Contributor

while i dont care for that i ignore it. so many people say this now!!!

Honored Contributor

It seems like a petty complaint to me.  I am a 50s child and often say no problem.  I also say you're welcome or a dozen other things when someone thanks me.  It depends on what pops out of my mouth or what the situation might call for.  

Your friend needs to chill and open her heart to the spirit of the response.

Honored Contributor

I have no problem with "no problem".  I don't believe it is a generational expresssion, either.  I've heard this in decades past.

Keep in mind when people hear a different expression it tends to take on wings and spread.

Back in the 80's high in the San Juan mountains in Colorado a "thank you" was expressed as "you bet" by many people.

The person who has his shorts in a knot needs to relax  and have some cake.

The expression is not being used as a personal assault for pity sake.

I'd rather hear "no problem" than hear nothing at all.

Such nonsense.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I say "no problem" sometimes.  It's appropriate, IMO.