Esteemed Contributor

Re: Newborn Mix Up ~ Couple Suing

I don't think any mother wouldn't be distressed about being given the wrong baby or not being able to provide  her milk to her child. Those of us who have given birth should remember our fierceness in protecting our children.

Honored Contributor

I can understand the mother being upset, but suing seems extreme. I think I would be more upset if I was the mother of the baby that was breastfed.
Honored Contributor

The hospital should be sued, but not for the missing colostrum reason. Hospitals have protocols for anyone handling the baby to check the band on the baby with the band on the mother. Obviously, this was not followed by the staff. 

I would be more concerned if Mom was HIV positive and worry about possible transmission of HIV to a baby not from her womb. Maybe the baby would have to take antiretroviral drugs! 

All these what ifs! 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

I don't think any mother wouldn't be distressed about being given the wrong baby or not being able to provide  her milk to her child. Those of us who have given birth should remember our fierceness in protecting our children.

@Lila Belle

I would have really worried if someone else breastfed my baby.  But the real problem is mixing up babies and mothers.  I thought that problem had been solved years ago.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The hospital should be sued, but not for the missing colostrum reason. Hospitals have protocols for anyone handling the baby to check the band on the baby with the band on the mother. Obviously, this was not followed by the staff. 

I would be more concerned if Mom was HIV positive and worry about possible transmission of HIV to a baby not from her womb. Maybe the baby would have to take antiretroviral drugs! 

All these what ifs! 

@JustJazzmom

Our posts crossed.  You and I are on the same page here!  Someone needs to sue them to force them to get their act together.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:
I can understand the mother being upset, but suing seems extreme. I think I would be more upset if I was the mother of the baby that was breastfed.

And if that mother knows her baby was given to another I think she should sue the hospital too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Mixing up babies and their mothers was news decades ago, it shouldn't be happening now, but if it is, that hospital needs to be put on notice.

Super Contributor

@JustJazzmom Many moons ago I followed testing being done by the state of Connecticut..they were conducting test on newborn babies to see whether or not the babies tested positive fot HIV at birth..the results of the test were not passed on to the parents..the state was trying to see if there were pockets of areas in the state where women were giving birth to these infected babies..it was all confidential..they claimed the babies tested were given codes...A few things come to mind ; the birth mother herself could have unknowingly been infected by a cheating spouse...and not know her baby was infected as well..the chances of that happening were quite low, but in my mind one infected baby is one too many. In the case of the mom suing...all parties need to be tested..the baby fed the breast milk could be infected and pass that on to the real mother..and the other baby fed/bottle  could infect the mom once returned because s/he would have been fed by a mom who was infected by the infected baby..lots of twist and turns.

Valued Contributor

My other concern would be were the babies other medical needs perhaps medications given to the wrong babies? How long were these babies mixed up?

Super Contributor

@Bri1..What I am about to share is one for the record books..when my mom gave birth to her third child/a daughter...back in 1959 babies were still kept in the nurseries..my dad had seen my sister several times knew what his child looked like..anyway on day 2..he saw a man with his daughter/my sister! He ran after the man screaming for the nurse, someone had taken his baby..the nursed said he was wrong...fast forward 40 years..my sister goes to give blood and was given her blood type..she told then their blood results were off..the hospital tested two more times..no way could my sister be my sister..she tested an A, my mom was a B and my dad was an O..no way is she my sister..This particular sister has always been different..and all of us had the same feeling, just never voiced it..My parents wanted blood test but my sister refused..(sigh) somebody switched babies at birth.. I am now 61 and unless a miracle happens I will never find my real sister..I consider the sister my sister, but we are not genetically related/