Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Years eve in Time Square to be Virtual

I don't think that stating the factual realities about New York City is "tacky" at all.  It's a valid topic for conversation.  I see no posts here that indicate happiness about the facts of the case.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I don't think that stating the factual realities about New York City is "tacky" at all.  It's a valid topic for conversation.  I see no posts here that indicate happiness about the facts of the case.

@Johnnyeager  ^This.

It isn't dumping on NYC anymore than the dumping we have seen on other cities and situations.

NYC is not immune from discussion and certainly not immune from criticism for the earlier advice given to the citizens; nor immune discussing the rise in crime.

While NYE's will not be the same without the usual festivities, it isn't the end of the world.  I'm neither happy nor sad; I'm just sad that those of differing opinions are, once again, assigned negative labels.

Tiring.  Stale, predictable, and very tiring.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

@10sluvr

Please do not dis NYC, I was born and raised there, the police are strong and vigilant and tolerate nothing.  NY like every large city is going thru Covid releated issues

@10sluvr wrote:

New york city is a hot mess! if they had the ball drop, there, it would be mashed and ruined by the social unrest that is allowed there.

stay home and stay safe.

the police are absolutely heros and i would never fault them. I don't believe they get the support they need, from gov't officials, starting with the mayor.

NYC has much to offer as a tourist and resident, it's just going thru a truely terrible time, for more reasons than just covid.

Respected Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

No Spring break next  yr. either. Inside Edition  announced that. Bet that makes lots happy.

just how do you stop SPRING BREAK?

Not sure, but my guess is that vacation is cancelled and students are expected to study instead of travelling and having fun. I wonder how many students will really abide by that. 

@teganslaw our local U has made Christmas vacation a week longer and gotten rid of Spring Break, opting instead to have regular classes throughout what would normally be that week off.

When classes stared about a month ago, our small community saw a huge rise in Covid cases.  We'd been in the single daily digits for months.  Then jumped up within 2 weeks to well over 100 new cases, coming from U students and spilling into our town due to off-campus housing.  Lots of negative reactions from those who live near the students.  Our downtown businesses are now in a ghost town.  I always figured it was the U students who kept those businesses going.  But merchants are complaining about losing the local folks in their shops, especially food places. Sad consequence but locals are avoiding going to town for any reason.  I live out of the town but I feel for those older folks who live close to any of the student rental properties.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Dumping on NYC, which is still suffering and trying to recover from being walloped by Covid, is unbecoming and tacky in my opinion. If anyone thinks things are so terrible there, why would they seem so happy about that? Genuine concern is kind. It is important to retain our powers of discernment here.

No one is dumping on NYC.  People are stating facts.  And who is happy about what is going on?

Esteemed Contributor

I live and work here.  Believe me, I'm not happy.  Just navigating the grim realities.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I can't blame people for feeling unsafe in the current environment.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen any "tacky" dumping on NY. On the contrary, it seems to be upheld as an example in many cases of how to handle the virus. Every city has its own problems though. 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@qualitygal. ..."look back with 20 20 vision"...

A bad pun but yes indeed! 😄

Oh, took me a minute but I got it!  LOL