Contributor

Re: New Years eve in Time Square to be Virtual

The rose bowl parade has allready been cancelled.  The floats were not even started.  Maby next year.  

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

No Spring break next  yr. either. Inside Edition  announced that. Bet that makes lots happy.

just how do you stop SPRING BREAK?

@sunshine45 , exactly what I'm thinking.  First of all, spring break is time off from school, not an event.  And unless they totally close down all the resorts, beaches, etc., people will be going away for vacation over spring break.  

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@10sluvr

Please do not dis NYC, I was born and raised there, the police are strong and vigilant and tolerate nothing.  NY like every large city is going thru Covid releated issues

@10sluvr wrote:

New york city is a hot mess! if they had the ball drop, there, it would be mashed and ruined by the social unrest that is allowed there.

stay home and stay safe.

The mess has nothing to do with Covid.

Honored Contributor

Not sure if NYC can make a comeback or not. It is a hot mess alright. Everyone I know is staying away from there or leaving. I see no signs of improvement, crime is terrible. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

The "mess" as you call it has everything to do with Covid, NYC was shut down and has been a virtual Ghost town, NY is still a very safe place

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@10sluvr

Please do not dis NYC, I was born and raised there, the police are strong and vigilant and tolerate nothing.  NY like every large city is going thru Covid releated issues

@10sluvr wrote:

New york city is a hot mess! if they had the ball drop, there, it would be mashed and ruined by the social unrest that is allowed there.

stay home and stay safe.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

The "mess" as you call it has everything to do with Covid, NYC was shut down and has been a virtual Ghost town, NY is still a very safe place

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@10sluvr

@10sluvr wrote:

stay home and stay safe.

Okay.  You go with that.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Not sure if NYC can make a comeback or not. It is a hot mess alright. Everyone I know is staying away from there or leaving. I see no signs of improvement, crime is terrible. 

@RetRN , I do think it will make a comeback.  Eventually.  But you couldn't pay me to go there right now.  What a shame. 

Esteemed Contributor

Midtown Manhattan is virtually empty and small businesses are still struggling or have permanently closed due to:

Broadway is closed

No tourism to speak of, the mainstay of luxury retailers

Office building occupancy estimated at 10-15% of pre-Covid levels

Likelihood that Work From Home will remain permanent for large numbers in the financial services sector

Rising homeless population with no end in sight

Rising crime and general lawlessness

80% of restaurants and small businesses unable to pay August rent in full

The highest apartment vacancy rates in decades

There's more, but these demonstrate a number of challenges. 

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Absolutely!  My husband is from there and we have no plans to visit anytime soon.  The virus is secondary to what's going on there now.  It's horrible, and very sad! 

Honored Contributor

Dumping on NYC, which is still suffering and trying to recover from being walloped by Covid, is unbecoming and tacky in my opinion. If anyone thinks things are so terrible there, why would they seem so happy about that? Genuine concern is kind. It is important to retain our powers of discernment here.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr