Trusted Contributor

Re: New Years eve in Time Square to be Virtual

I would guess the majority of people in TS on NYE are tourists and I don't think they will be traveling here in January in any event.

There's no reason the traditional live ball drop won't happen.  All you need to do that are a couple of people. And I'm sure they'll have entertainment there as well.  Streets will just be blocked off to the area.  The entertainment and ball drop will be televised as usual.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

Times Square is currently a ghost town.  Very, very few visitors and almost empty hotels.  Boarded up bars and restaurants everywhere, so no place for revelers to take refuge.  Going out of business signs on souvenir shops......and Broadway is closed.  Reopening highly uncertain.   So I doubt many would be there celebrating. 

Esteemed Contributor

I never got the allure even before before Covid.  Standing for hours packed together like sardines, in the freezing cold and probably not able to go to the restroom. 

That is not my idea of a good time. But to each his own.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

How do you "virtual" the Macy's Day Parade?

@CelticCrafter   It's not!

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Will Be TV-Only This Year And There Are Plenty Of Ways To Watch

It's still gonna be good!!!

FULL SOURCE:   delish dot com

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I was born and raised in NYC, although I haven't lived there since I was 16. Nevertheless, I have a lifelong affinity to the city. I'm not surprised that New Year's Eve will be different. Everything is different now. We must make the best of it.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I thought that was already decided?   It's not a surprise though.   I can't imagine being in a crowd with all those people in the best of circumstances, let alone during Covid 

for some reason I thought there was a thread about this already but maybe I'm thinking about the Thanksgiving Day parade.   This certainly can't be a surprise.  I doubt there will be trick-or-treating this year so NYE in Times Square would definitely be off the table.

My one and only time to NYC was right after Christmas and we left to come home on NYE.  It was so crowded that one evening you couldn't even move on the sidewalk.  We ended up going back to our hotel because it was causing me anxiety.  I'd never want to stay for that.

Esteemed Contributor

I predicted that the live ball drop, and crush of people in Times Square in New Year's Eve was going to be cancelled back in June.

No one wanted to believe me, and in fact, I was told that I didn't know what I was talking about, and that I was looking too far ahead.

Well, look who was right.

I told you guys that it wasn't going to happen.

But a virtual ball drop sounds just stupid to me.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't believe anyone would have thought it would go on as usual. Everyone I know has said for months that it wouldn't happen. That a news flash was needed it almost laughable. No one I know has traveled for 6 months to a big city.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal. ..."look back with 20 20 vision"...

A bad pun but yes indeed! 😄

Esteemed Contributor

A friend who is a cop in NYC told me that about a week ago.Being a New Yorker I never had a desire to be in Times Square on New Years Eve. I prefer to watch it either from home or at a party.