Honored Contributor

New Years eve in Time Square to be Virtual

I just got a news flash from the local CBS station in NY

The annual Times Square New Year’s Eve ball drop will be virtual this year, organizers announced Wednesday.

More info to follow

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Years eve in Time Square to be Virtual

I'm not surprised.  How they could they have the festivities and enforce social distancing, it would be impossible.

Honestly, I'm a native New Yorker and have never gone to Times Square, for NYE, but I'm sure there are many, many from all over that are disappointed.

Honored Contributor

I thought that was already decided?   It's not a surprise though.   I can't imagine being in a crowd with all those people in the best of circumstances, let alone during Covid 

Trusted Contributor

I think all celebrations of this type will be virtual.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is disappointing news, but ABSOLUTELY necessary! I cannot imagine what the COVID numbers would be, had it not been virtual.😐 

Thankfully, they put public safety FIRST, and not potentially windfall profits.😊👍

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

The bigger danger wouldn't be the giant crowd out in the open air. Though there is risk to that.

The bigger risk would be the masses of people crowding into any little shops and restaurants they could find to try to get warm. Some of them already plastered to boot. NY is smart. They already know what could happen. And they clearly learn from experience and mistakes.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Saying that certain things are going to be virtual is a little ridiculous.

How do you "virtual" the Macy's Day Parade?

I guess the ball drop is going to be computer generated.  

Guessing the Rose Bowl parade will also be the same way.

Honored Contributor

While we love our traditions, I think this year will be a bump in the road for us as we look back some day with 20 20 vision.  If we can't change it, let's make the best of it.  We can sure hope next year celebrations will be bigger and better yet.

Honored Contributor

I guess that means the Times Square revellers will watch the ball drop on TV - just like the rest of us.

Honored Contributor

Great news!

Just think of all of the revelers, not only from NYC, but from areas all over the country, without precautions against Covid.

We've all seen the repercussions of mass gatherings where precautions were thrown to the wind.....literally.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.