Trusted Contributor

Re: New UPS Delivery Procedures

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

It doesn't make sense to me to entrust something you paid for to someone else (strangers!) without your explicit permission to do that.  

@Pearlee, I don't think anyone is talking about UPS leaving packages with strangers. What I inferred is that some have had to pick up their packages at a UPS store if no one answered at home the first time.

Personally, that sounds to me as if a signature was required, something that I rarely if ever have with UPS deliveries.

Pearley, thanks for the excellent point.  Will bring that up to UPS.

SuzyQ3, UPS is using a local business store a few blocks from me as an access point.  Pearley is absolutely correct - these people are strangers to me and my property should not be left there for pickup by me.

Honored Contributor

@LogoFan  You are welcome. Smiley Happy

By the way,  FYI, the UPS hub (not a store) from which I send my packages have had the same employees for the 20+ years I've been going there, and they are all bonded.   I've gotten to know them quite well and completely trust them with my packages I am sending.  I cannot say the same for employees at some of my UPS stores, one of whom in particular is a real flake.  He is also quite cheap and balks about using supplies in his store (because they cost him!) and I surely woudln't put it past him to steal packages - he always seems so hard up for money.  Actually, I haven't been to his store in a long time -  he may not even still be operating one.

Esteemed Contributor

I've only read the first two pages but was interested to see this topic.

As long as 20 years ago, my UPS packages were being left at a local business...because the business owner was our next door neighbor.  It wasn't UPS policy...it was the driver's laziness. 

I didn't like it because  the neighbor didn't always remember to take them home with him.  I told him I didn't want him to accept my packages; I was paying for delivery to MY house and it shouldn't be his job to get my packages to me.  Fortunately that driver retired after a couple of years.

I've had good luck with drivers since then...until very recently.  I don't seem to have a "regular" driver now.  Feel kind of like a UPS orphan. Woman Sad

Anyway, what brings me here today is...I don't remember the last time they knocked or rang the bell...and that's fine.  Leaving packages on the porch next to the door is fine.  Last week a couple were left on the top step of the porch.  still okay.  Earlier this week there were a couple in front of the (closed) garage.  Hmmm.  Today the packages were left next to the back of the car which was parked in front of the garage.  At this rate my guess is the next delivery will be next to the mailbox which is at the road.

I don't like this because it assumes too much.  It assumes (1) I will see the packages (somehow I will "sense" that they've been delivered), (2) I can walk and carry them (regardless of size and weight) the distance to the house and up the steps, and (3) it won't rain before I get to them.   

I don't like this.  I don't like it at all.

Some months ago. when there was another issue, one of my favorite, previous drivers gave me a number to call.  He has another route now, but I run into him sometimes.  When I see him again I'll ask him for the number again (as I threw the other one out).  And this time I'll use it.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I've heard of this too and called up to ask about it. What makes this so bad is some cities are requiring the new State Real I.D. drivers license to identify you when you go to pick up your package while other cities are taking the regular drivers licenses.  I don't know if the UPS drivers will still make 3 attempts at delivery or just say that they did.  

Honored Contributor

@LogoFan wrote:

I live in Chicago Illinois and have recently learned of new UPS handling of home delivery.

I spoke to a driver today who delivered a QVC package.  Asked him about some notices I have seen regarding dropoff of packages at an access point which is a business a few blocks from where I live.

He basically told me that it makes more sense to dropoff my package at this local business if I do not accept delivery on first attempt.  He was not clear on whether or not this applies to all deliveries because he said something about "potential" drop off on the package I just received.  He was just not clear.

I told him that my health is not good, and one attempt would not be sufficient if I happen to be at a doctor visit on the day he attempts to deliver.  If this was a heavy package, some of which I have had since I got wind of this new process, I would not be able to go to that business and carry my package home.

Frankly, I have many stressful health issues right now and am just not in the mood to call UPS just yet and get aggravated.  There has been no mention on the news anywhere about this new policy.  Besides all of this, we a paying for delivery which should at least require the 3 attempts always made in the past for a lot of reasons, before a dropoff anywhere in the delivery area.

Just curious if anyone else has heard of this new "so far not advertised" policy.

@LogoFan  Sometimes a driver will take packages to an access point, here it is a UPS store, and sometimes they won't.  A week ago, the most regular driver told me he saw a package of mine that was being returned.  I called both companies, and my packages had been returned without any notices being left here, so I had no idea what had happened.

I even signed up for My Choice recently, checking the "skip home delivery" box, packages to automatically be taken to the store, but this is not working, as driver's keep showing up.  UPS is one messed up company around here.  Perishables won't be dropped off at an access point, yet UPs drove around with my perishables for three days after they had been en route for two, didn't bother them then that the food may have been ruined, yet they won't take a bottle of supplements to the store, no explanation.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbone wrote:

Do you have to sign for every ups package you receive?  If so, ask the driver for a pad of delivery notices, sign the back & tape to your door. They will leave pkg. 

@chickenbone  I would not trust UPS by doing this.  Once, not long ago, they lost four packages one day after stating the packages were delivered when they were not.  Now, I have to sign for everything, which is just as well under the circumstances, though it is a burden on me for something UPS did wrong.

Honored Contributor

@LogoFan wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

It doesn't make sense to me to entrust something you paid for to someone else (strangers!) without your explicit permission to do that.  

@Pearlee, I don't think anyone is talking about UPS leaving packages with strangers. What I inferred is that some have had to pick up their packages at a UPS store if no one answered at home the first time.

Personally, that sounds to me as if a signature was required, something that I rarely if ever have with UPS deliveries.

Pearley, thanks for the excellent point.  Will bring that up to UPS.

SuzyQ3, UPS is using a local business store a few blocks from me as an access point.  Pearley is absolutely correct - these people are strangers to me and my property should not be left there for pickup by me.

@LogoFan, I'd really like to know more about this connection between UPS and some random business. Do they have contracts with such a business? I just don't understand how it works. I know only about UPS stores themselves and can speak only to that,  but I certainly don't doubt you or anyone else who has had such an experience.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

This isn't a new policy in my area.  There are numerous Access Points in every town and city.  Access Points have been around for about two years here and Ups stopped making more than one visit around that time.  They make one attempt to deliver and then they drop it off at the nearest Access Point.  But you can go online and request that they drop off at Access Point before they even make the attempt to deliver.  Some of my friends who work do that.  Fedex also uses the Acess Points, it can be quite busy when you pick something up on Saturday.  I live in a small suburban town but we have 4 Access Points now and that has eased the crunch.  Around Christmas, when there were only two, the lines went out the door and up the street.   Like I said this is definitely not new.

@chrystaltree  UPS is not consistent re delivery.  Sometimes after one attempt, the item goes to an access point.  Other times, they come back but leave no notices so I have no clue they have been here.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The UPS store nearest to me leaves their back door completely open and just walking by you can see all the packages that are stacked up waiting for the truck to pickup...these were packages left by customers.  It was not secure and it begs the question as to where they will be placing everyone elses packages. I can see how they would get in the wrong pile as well as just outright stolen right from under their ignorant nose. 

Valued Contributor

Hmmm, haven't experienced anything like this.  They still deliver to my front porch, and even ring the doorbell to let me know they have arrived.  I just wish they would stop saying "Avon Calling".  That just confuses me.