Honored Contributor

Re: New Study on COVID 19 Immunity

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  Do you have details about the study?  Who did it? How?  You know..details. 

Google UK study Covid 19.  You can study the results at your leisure.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I am pretty sure that I had it early on back in February, before we even had tests in my state. We also weren't hearing about the virus and its symptoms non stop like we were a couple of weeks later. Therefore I was not tested. I went last a Friday to get the antibody test and am negative for antibodies. So, either I didn't have it or the antibodies don't last.  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

From the UK.

Study says immunity lasts 3 weeks to a few months.

Sorry, it's not good news.  But it is important to know.

@QueenDanceALot   There will be exceptions, too, where it doesn’t even last 3 weeks and others where it lasts longer than a few months. Also, the virus changes and antibodies will, too.

The report verifies what doctors have been reporting for quite some time. Antibodies from having had COVID-19 are not going to be helpful to those who have had it.

I honestly hope no one is holding their breath for a miracle vaccine because it is highly unlikely to happen. Ever. Just being realistic. A mutating virus will be a guessing game. Better put the eggs in the treatment basket. 

Respected Contributor

I heard about this on the news today.    This virus gets more and more frightening the more we learn about it.

I wonder how long before life will go back to 'normal'.    Or even if.

I wish everyone would take this seriously, for the good of all.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

@Lion wrote:

I heard about this on the news today.    This virus gets more and more frightening the more we learn about it.

I wonder how long before life will go back to 'normal'.    Or even if.

I wish everyone would take this seriously, for the good of all.

@Lion 

Sadly, I think our ‘new normal’ will be very different.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Can we ever get back to normal? Absolutely. This virus is very selective. It's targeting a very specific set of people for the worst outcome. For most people, a reported 95% (though the real-world number is likely higher) it presents with no, or very minor symptoms. Those it hits hardest, young and old alike, are likely to have a genetic susceptibility that the virus is exploiting. If we can identify that vulnerability then we can focus on ways to address it. 

It doesn't matter if you get the virus once, twice, or fifty times if it doesn't present any major symptoms. and this virus doesn't present major symptoms for the vast majority of those infected. Identifying those most at risk and finding ways to protect them should let everyone get back to normal. There are four related coronaviruses that cause the common cold. The Covid-19 virus could quickly become just another nuisance virus and not a major issue if we can identify those most vulnerable and find a way to protect them.

What we're seeing playing out in real-time in the real world is Darwinian evolution. The weak and those vulnerable to the virus are being eliminated while the stronger/less vulnerable are surviving just fine. We're just not used to seeing Darwinian evolution play out in real-time among humans. We're used to being in control, or having the illusion we're in control. God, Mother Nature, fate, whatever is reminding us we're not really in control.

In some ways we're lucky. This virus is letting 95+% survive while less than 5% suffer the worst fate. It could have just as easily been the opposite with a small percentage of the population having a genetic advantage that let them survive a viral disaster that killed 95+% of the rest of humanity.

Identifying why some are more vulnerable, likely a genetic issue of some sort given the wildly varying death rates worldwide and finding a patch for that should let everyone get back to normal and turn Covid-19 into nothing more than another nuisance virus.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Cannot wait to see what tomorrow's new study will tell us.Smiley Happy

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

gardenman,

I'd love to believe all that you have written.  I want to believe it.  When, and if, someone with the proper credentials officially reports what you have written, I will feel some measure of relief.  Until then, I am skeptical and fearful of this wicked virus.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  Do you have details about the study?  Who did it? How?  You know..details. 

@esmerelda 

As @tansy answered, you can google it.

Easy Peasy.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Can we ever get back to normal? Absolutely. This virus is very selective. It's targeting a very specific set of people for the worst outcome. For most people, a reported 95% (though the real-world number is likely higher) it presents with no, or very minor symptoms. Those it hits hardest, young and old alike, are likely to have a genetic susceptibility that the virus is exploiting. If we can identify that vulnerability then we can focus on ways to address it. 

It doesn't matter if you get the virus once, twice, or fifty times if it doesn't present any major symptoms. and this virus doesn't present major symptoms for the vast majority of those infected. Identifying those most at risk and finding ways to protect them should let everyone get back to normal. There are four related coronaviruses that cause the common cold. The Covid-19 virus could quickly become just another nuisance virus and not a major issue if we can identify those most vulnerable and find a way to protect them.

What we're seeing playing out in real-time in the real world is Darwinian evolution. The weak and those vulnerable to the virus are being eliminated while the stronger/less vulnerable are surviving just fine. We're just not used to seeing Darwinian evolution play out in real-time among humans. We're used to being in control, or having the illusion we're in control. God, Mother Nature, fate, whatever is reminding us we're not really in control.

In some ways we're lucky. This virus is letting 95+% survive while less than 5% suffer the worst fate. It could have just as easily been the opposite with a small percentage of the population having a genetic advantage that let them survive a viral disaster that killed 95+% of the rest of humanity.

Identifying why some are more vulnerable, likely a genetic issue of some sort given the wildly varying death rates worldwide and finding a patch for that should let everyone get back to normal and turn Covid-19 into nothing more than another nuisance virus.

@gardenman 

"If" the virus doesn't present major problems for those who survive.

It's looking as though that might not be the case.

I think seeing this as natural selection is just guessing, without concrete data to back it up.  And it does make me wince to think people are blowing it off as "well, the strong survive, get used to it".