Honored Contributor

Urban Legend, but the gas one is real.  Happened here and was reported on the news.  My Jeep doesn't have automatic door locks, so the passenger side door is locked at all times, but I also try to remember to close my driver's side door when I'm pumping gas just in case although usually I sit in there to write down my mileage while I'm pumping.

The Urban Legends that really bother me are the ones with a different number to call that will get you directly to the police.  That's just downright dangerous.  9-1-1 is THE number to call if you need the police.

Honored Contributor

This was actually pulled in my area of southern WV several years ago.  

Two young men tried this at the mall, and in a grocery store parking lot.  They scared their victims at the mall, but were not successful in stealing anything.  Camera footage there helped local police catch them before they could get out of the Kroger lot.   

Honored Contributor

This one is real. I guarantee it.

My coworker's daughter bought a brand new car.  She had it for about a week and was pumping her own gas when a man jumped into the drivers seat and drove away with it.

It was never recovered.

Now, I always remove the keys from the ignition and lock my doors when I pump gas or get out of my car.

Trusted Contributor

The first time I ever heard of this was back in the late 1980s. This is an urban myth and a really old one at that. It's in the same league with the one about the boogeyman hiding under the SUV or truck parked next to you and who grabs you by the ankles and pulls you under the car. I can't believe there are still people that are so naive that they actually believe this stuff.