Honored Contributor

New Hijacking Scheme

[ Edited ]

I was sent this post by a friend.  If it turned out not to be real, at least this makes us think a little outside of the box and perhaps not be naive.

A person goes into a parking lot, unlocks their car, gets in and starts to pull out of their place.

They notice paper stuck to their back window.

They stop, get out, and go around to get off the paper leaving the door open.

Waiting hijackers jump in the car, and drive off.  If it was a woman, most     likely her handbag was on the seat.

Alarming to say the least!  Still being alert never hurts us.

Respected Contributor

Re: New Hijacking Scheme

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

I was sent this post by a friend.  If it turned out not to be real, at least this makes us think a little outside of the box and perhaps not be naive.

A person goes into a parking lot, unlocks their car, gets in and starts to pull out of their place.

They notice paper stuck to their back window.

They stop, get out, and go around to get off the paper leaving the door open.

Waiting hijackers jump in the car, and drive off.  If it was a woman, most              likely her handbag was on the seat.

Alarming to say the least!  Still being alert never hurts us.

@ECBG    A version of this has been circulating on the Internet since 2004. Sometimes it says they leave a $100 bill on the back window. Not saying that you don't need to be careful but this is an Internet rumor. 

Esteemed Contributor

hoax

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Similar real thing:  when fueling my car, I make certain that I keep my handbag with me.  Too easy for someone to open the passenger door or reach in open driver door and steal what is on the seat.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Seems very unlikely.  If your car is in a parking lot, you usually approach it from the rear, meaning you'd see the paper before you got inside.  I'd say this is an urban legend.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Hoax. It's been thoroughly fact checked. Now it gets new life being read here. 

please read Snopes

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/carjackers-leaving-flyers-100-bills-car-windows/

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Similar real thing:  when fueling my car, I make certain that I keep my handbag with me.  Too easy for someone to open the passenger door or reach in open driver door and steal what is on the seat.

When I'm putting gas in my car, I lock the door and have my debit card and keys in my hand, no need to take my purse with me, it's locked inside my car.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

When I pump my own gas, I lock my doors, and my wallet is in my pocket.

No purse to steal, because I don't carry one.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

I've seen videos where females go to the gas pumps ---- and the thief opens the passenger door and grabs her purse. I always lock all the doors when fueling up.

Respected Contributor

A very, very old urban legend.