Super Contributor

Got a ltr. from a Visa card I have saying that within two weeks I'd receive a new card (the new card was in the mail with this letter today). Seems I 'might have been compromised' when using it recently. Hmmmm. Now, the thing is I have to notify any companies I've used it with and also to change the # with companies, etc. What a pain. Think I'm just going to wait til I run into a company that has the old one on record and go from there. Only thing I'd change now is any auto payments made on that card. Am I just paranoid about this, or is it a pain and am I getting ticked off for nothing? What ya think??? Thanks for any thoughts. (I'm still going to carry the old one for a while, but have put a hunk of duck tape on it,,,,the tape is black with skull and crossbones!!!)

Honored Contributor

Once you activate the new card, the old card will be discontinued. No reason to carry it with you.

Honored Contributor
On 9/11/2014 misspammie said:

Got a ltr. from a Visa card I have saying that within two weeks I'd receive a new card (the new card was in the mail with this letter today). Seems I 'might have been compromised' when using it recently. Hmmmm. Now, the thing is I have to notify any companies I've used it with and also to change the # with companies, etc. What a pain. Think I'm just going to wait til I run into a company that has the old one on record and go from there. Only thing I'd change now is any auto payments made on that card. Am I just paranoid about this, or is it a pain and am I getting ticked off for nothing? What ya think??? Thanks for any thoughts. (I'm still going to carry the old one for a while, but have put a hunk of duck tape on it,,,,the tape is black with skull and crossbones!!!)

Hi misspammie,

This happened to me a couple years ago. I had the same card since I retired in 1991. Not only did I have the number memorized, but I too had many automatic withdraws from my account, for utilities and other of those types of payments. I had no choice in the matter, they just cancelled my present card and issued me a new one.

Spent a few hours going through my accounts looking for all of those companies and then I had to call all of them to get these things changed. Pretty much had to tell them everything, including the last time I took a whiz, before they believed I was who I am, or something like that.

Not fun for sure and I can feel your pain.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have any advice or any ideas to make dealing with this any easier. But I did want to share what just happened to me in the same situation. I had a card that "might have been compromised" back in March, and the bank changed the number. I had totally forgotten that the card number was in my billing information for an automatic renewal of my virus protection on my computer. I received an email a couple of weeks ago that they had renewed it, and I didn't know they were going to do it. I checked and sure enough, the old card number was on my account.

A day or two later, I had problems and had to call them for service and they got everything so fouled up, I wound up with no virus protection on my computer. I've since gotten a different anti-virus program, cancelled that one and they refunded the charge on that account.

I called the bank and asked them why they allowed a charge to go through on an old card number that could have been "compromised"...they said they will allow one automatic charge from a business if it comes through, but they won't allow anymore from that business, or any miscellaneous charges. I told them I didn't understand their reasoning that it was okay to allow a charge of any kind on a compromised card. But that's how they operate. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Trusted Contributor
We were just "compromised " most likely from the Home Depot hackers you've been hearing about. Two charges that were definitely not ours. So while it's a pain to replace a card, it beats paying hundreds for charges that are not yours. It's no fun getting those removed either, trust me. Better to be safe than VERY sorry! You were actually lucky your bank took the initiative.
Honored Contributor

Most reputable companies will issue a card w/ an expiration date of 4yrs or less. You would've had to contact all the companies eventually. At least everything will be up to date! (Silver lining)

Super Contributor

bless you all for the replies. I think I'm getting paranoid on who to trust in this world (meaning mail about a credit card). Hckynut, I'm with ya!!!! Pain in the butt, but going thru with it. (have to check on the last time I whized {#emotions_dlg.w00t}). Now tracking old fashioned paperwork, I think there were one or two charges made only yearly. I swear, one has to be a secretary/accountant in order to get by and survive. again thank you to all for responding.