Esteemed Contributor

I won't be watching football anymore

The latest abuse by that Ravens player was it for me. Being a victim of spousal abuse, I was horrified. I saw a show where women, that were married to NFL players, said their husbands got away with it as well. The teams were more interested in them playing then getting justice for the wives. The same applies for DUI's. They have a different standard. What does this say about our society?

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Contributor

Re: I won't be watching football anymore

And I won't be eating at Chik Fil A - isn't it great to live in a country where we have freedom to support our ideals, whatever they are?

Super Contributor

it won't stop me from watching - and i love Chik Fil A,too!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

I'll be watching, they employ a lot of people and there was apparently no behavior like this prior to his contract.

Esteemed Contributor

Double Standards - big time.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

If you boycott every place where domestic/spousal abuse occurs then you're going to be living in a very small box. Domestic/spousal abuse is a rampant problem not confined to only NFL players. It occurs many times a day to many men and women and crosses all boundaries of race, religion, and income level. At least the NFL is now taking a firm stand against it. What is the stand of the NBA, Major League Baseball, the NCAA, the NHL? Where do major corporations stand with regards to spousal abuse? By and large the answer is they leave it up to law enforcement to deal with any issue that pops up in a domestic/spousal abuse situation. That's exactly what the NFL was doing. The NFL has now changed that policy and are taking a much firmer stand.

I honestly think a lot of the press attention this case is getting now is to cover up the lousy job the media did in uncovering this story. They're embarrassed that TMZ broke the story and now they're trying to divert the public's attention from the fact that they, the public watchdog, was little more than a sleeping lap dog where domestic/spousal violence was concerned. They're saying the NFL should have done more to get the tape, but why didn't they? Where were 60 Minutes, ESPN, ABC, CBS, NBC, and even the local media when all of this went down? They all say everyone knew this tape existed, so why didn't they acquire it if it was so easy to acquire? Why did it take a tabloid/entertainment channel to acquire the tape instead of the hard hitting mainstream media? Because they didn't care and didn't consider it a big story. Now that it's blown up on them they're running around like their hair's on fire and hurling accusations everywhere, but where were they during this whole thing? They were asleep.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Tonight is the debut of Thursday Night Football. From the headlines of Washington Post. Big NFL Oops. Wonder if Rihanna will address her public abuse history w/ Chris Brown....

The Ray-Riceless Ravens are playing Pittsburgh tonight.
The opening act is Rihanna.

Trusted Contributor

On 9/11/2014 sidsmom said:

Tonight is the debut of Thursday Night Football. From the headlines of Washington Post. Big NFL Oops. Wonder if Rihanna will address her public abuse history w/ Chris Brown....

The Ray-Riceless Ravens are playing Pittsburgh tonight.
The opening act is Rihanna.

Actually it's not the debut of Thursday Night Football. The season opened last week on Thursday night when the Seahawks beat the Packers.

While I'm not a big football fan this will not keep me from watching. As someone else mentioned if I was going to avoid companies who employ people who are abusive, I'd have to pretty much stay shut in my home.

I think the NFL could have dealt with this situation better.

Honored Contributor

I think some of the responses here are quite insensitive considering graceandmercy says in her opening post that she is a victim of spousal abuse.

graceandmercy,

It is a disgrace how victims of abuse are treated, both by the general public and by the authorities.

I wish you peace.

Honored Contributor

I am a victim of spousal abuse as well & that was many years ago- I've gone on with my life and learned to not let it run my life- I love football and Chik Fil-A. There's spousal abuse all over the world, whether it be by words, physical or just plain horrible treatment- we can't let it ruin things we enjoy or like.. my ex worked for Federal Express but I still use them- I am not being cold hearted and I care, I care a lot- my abuse was both physical and mental- it's taken me years to let go... and for that I am the better person!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee