Regular Contributor

New 5G starting 2021 ????/$$$$

[ Edited ]

Very confused.    some article say with updated SIM CARDS from their carrier the 3 and 4 G phones willl work.   Iphones will work. and will not work.  

Other articles say NO phones will work ----have to have 5G cell phones with the newest modems.

Other articles day no need for new SIM CARDS and Iphones will work but will stumble.

I even got conflickting answers from Consumer Cellular yesterday.   

The prces of the 5G phones are out  thousands! 

Respected Contributor

Re: New 5G starting 2021 ????/$$$$

I have a old 3G phone so AT&T sent me a text a few days ago saying they are phasing out 3G network by Feb 2022 to bring newer technology like 5G. So I guess I better update my phone before hand. LOL!

Regular Contributor

yes we got a notification from our carrier but they say the New5G service is starting Jan 2021     

Esteemed Contributor

@JYWilliams wrote:

I have a old 3G phone so AT&T sent me a text a few days ago saying they are phasing out 3G network by Feb 2022 to bring newer technology like 5G. So I guess I better update my phone before hand. LOL!

@JYWilliams  AT&T is shutting down older 3G networks to make room for 5G service. 

The company will still have 4G networks in use. 

When you are able, call the company and ask about buying a 4G phone  to use on your current plan. 

You do not need a 5G phone yet. 

Respected Contributor

@shopped out wrote:

Very confused.    some article say with updated SIM CARDS from their carrier the 3 and 4 G phones willl work.   Iphones will work. and will not work.  

Other articles say NO phones will work ----have to have 5G cell phones with the newest modems.

Other articles day no need for new SIM CARDS and Iphones will work but will stumble.

I even got conflickting answers from Consumer Cellular yesterday.   

The prces of the 5G phones are out  thousands! 

They are not thousands (plural).

They start at $700 for the mini and go up around $1200 for the Max.

The phones on the 3G network will work until the end of 2021.

The 4G network won't be going away for a while.

Honored Contributor

I'm not really looking forward to this at all! 

They need to put up new cell towers for 5G.  They will be smaller but much more numerous than the current huge cell towers.  The 5G ones will not be able to travel long distances and from what I understand they will be putting one up on each block...they will be much smaller and can be posted on street lights but I would hate to have that close to my house. 

I worry about the health ramifications of 5G...we don't have enough to deal with concerning the pandemic!

Honored Contributor

The prices for 5G phones are dropping fast. The Samsung Galaxy A71was available unlocked on Prime Day for I believe $419, and can typically be bought for under $500. Over the next year or two expect prices to keep falling until they're under $100.

As to the health risks, most real experts say the 5G is non-ionizing, which means it's believed to be harmless to humans, animals, and even microbial life. There's not enough energy in the signal to dislodge an electron, so it can't change anything. It just wanders through without doing anything. Ionizing radiation is the dangerous stuff as it has enough energy to dislodge electrons which creates chaos. Think of 5G/non-ionizing radiation as a gentle breeze, so slight that it doesn't even muss your hair, while ionizing radiation is a tornado.

There have been many, many studies done on non-ionizing radiation with no real evidence of it being harmful. If it can't dislodge an electron, it can't change anything. Alarmists insist we're all going to die from just about everything, but the science on non-ionizing radiation is pretty darn solid.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

My city was one of the first to start 5G. We've had it since the beginning of this year. My flip phone is 4G and it still works fine. It's only 3G phone which won't work any more. 

5G is just 4G with an expanded band width. In order to use the wider 5G then you'll need to upgrade your 4G phone only if it has that capacity. At this point, upgradable 4G phones are confusing and you might have difficulty finding out if yours is upgradable or not. All I can say is call your provider.

Esteemed Contributor

It should be a while until 4g goes away since it is easier to cover rural that way.  Even with 4g I have a space with no service when I go out the hospital on the coast.

My phone is 4g so I can wait for prices to go down.

Contributor

This is so annoying, even if it'll be a while before 4g doesn't work, I just got rid of all my familys iPhone 6splus phones last month, they were still working but going downhill after 6 years. I replaced 6 phones at a huge expense, for iPhone 11 pro max (whichever is the best, highest price mode). They're on a2 year payment plan, so from what it sounds, they won't be working before I've even paid them off!  I blame Verizon for not making me aware of this, I am a consumer, not a tecnical service rep, and had no way of knowing this information.  I should have been made aware.  In about 3 weeks past the return Window, but being a customer with this company,  since before Verizon even existed well over 20 years, and I'm furious.  I will be calling them and raising hell.  I spent over 7,000, on something that will be worth nothing in two years.  I want these phones replaced with the 12 models that will be 5g.  This is the worst lying, service I've ever encountered.  It's unreal