Respected Contributor

Im sooo tired of dealing with my car battery that was gotten 3 years ago.  This 5 year battery has needed jumped many times since it was bought.  Do anyone of you know if AAA car batteries are around the same cost as getting one at auto shop?  I thought since I need to call AAA for jumpstart I could also get the battery from them. Would you recommend that or is it better to get some other place.

Honored Contributor

I have AAA.  I think AAA only gives discounts at certain auto shops.  I've not seen where you can get it directly from them unless you have a AAA actual mechanic shop near you.  I've never seen one.  

I got my battery replaced at my usual mechanic and it wasn't a horrible expense.  It actually has been one of the cheapest. 

Fair warning if you have emissions or some sort of inspection coming up, get that done first otherwise you have to drive the car 100 plus miles to reset all of the newfangled electronics.    

Super Contributor

I have AAA. I called them about a year and a half ago because the 7 year old battery in my car died. They showed up in about 30 minutes with a battery and put it in my car. He was great. I live in Florida and I don't know if they are the same price everywhere, but I think the battery was around $130. The convienence was worth it and I was only a half hour late for work!

Super Contributor

I purhased a battery for my sister's car in June from AAA and I believe it was about $155.00.  It was an easy transaction, but I think it was a probably a little more costly than if you went to a battery store.  Also, I purchased a battery for my own car about three years ago from a store in my area called Batteries Plus.  When I had to have it jumped for the second time, I took my car back to Batteries Plus and they gave me a new battery free of charge -- the original one was defective.  You might check back with where you original purchased the battery as it may be under warranty.

Honored Contributor

I love AAA. I have used them several times over the years. Well worth the money for me.

Respected Contributor

I got a battery from AAA a few years ago.  I never compared prices, because the convenience was well worth any upcharge.  Now, mine was an emergency, but I could have just accepted the jumb start and gotten a new battery elsewhere.  I chose not to.    They had it done in about 30 minutes, working in a McDonalds parking lot.  I will pay for convenience sometimes.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

AAA batteries are sold at a discount to AAA members.

It appears that your current battery has a parasitic leak/draw.  I would return it to the place you purchased it from.  They should give you a new battery for FREE.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@FlowerBear  AAA batteries use different suppliers depending on what state you are in. They are generally considered to be good. You could probably find a better deal elsewhere, but I'm wondering if you may have something else going on with your car, since your battery has not lasted it's predicted life. We have AAA for the hotel and retail discounts and because I frequently drive hundreds of miles alone. It pays for itself.

Honored Contributor

If time and convenience allows, I would have my vehicle towed to a retail outlet where they sell and install new battieries.  I like to have a brick-and-mortar place where I can return if there is a problem with the new battery.  Also, there may be a price reduction if you turn in the old battery.

Valued Contributor

I had AAA for many years, but cancelled it due to the high cost. I was also miffed that they would only pay to tow the car 5 miles under the basic coverage if it became disabled. Ripoff! While with them, I called to have my battery replaced about 3-4 years ago. They called out a local shop/mechanic they contracted with that came out in frigid weather to replace it. I've since replaced it again for a higher quality battery through my Lincoln car dealer.