Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I have AAA.  I think AAA only gives discounts at certain auto shops.  I've not seen where you can get it directly from them unless you have a AAA actual mechanic shop near you.  I've never seen one.  

I got my battery replaced at my usual mechanic and it wasn't a horrible expense.  It actually has been one of the cheapest. 

Fair warning if you have emissions or some sort of inspection coming up, get that done first otherwise you have to drive the car 100 plus miles to reset all of the newfangled electronics.    

This ^  It happened to my brother-in-law.  I don't know how he figured it out because the place that replaced the battery didn't tell him.

Honored Contributor

Yes, for many years now, and have used them many times. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have AAA

[ Edited ]

@henderson : Anybody will probably replace your wipers for less than dealer; we use O'Reilly ( buy them and their guy does it right in parking lot).

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have AAA

[ Edited ]

@FlowerBear wrote:

Im sooo tired of dealing with my car battery that was gotten 3 years ago.  This 5 year battery has needed jumped many times since it was bought.  Do anyone of you know if AAA car batteries are around the same cost as getting one at auto shop?  I thought since I need to call AAA for jumpstart I could also get the battery from them. Would you recommend that or is it better to get some other place.

@FlowerBear

I had AAA since 1991. I brought one battery from them once for a Honda Accord. The battery cost no more than  one brought at the dealer.

When you buy a battery what matters that it is fresh, and AAA sells them all the time.

The tech comes to you and install it. 

Honored Contributor

highly recommend going with an INTERSTATE battery. have used them for years and they have an excellent warranty.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

Yes, we have AAA Plus for almost 30 yrs!  Would not be without it!

As did I.  However, my car came w/FREE Ford Roadway Assistance for 5 yrs.  I did not know this till months after I purchased the car decided to read the paperwork in the glove department & found all this FREE stuff. hidemf3.gif

I dropped AAA Plus because Ford's benefits are far superior.  AAA Plus was getting far too expensive for my taste as it was rarely used.  I could count the times I've used it on one hand during the 30+ yrs I've had Plus.

I am going to downgrade to just plain old AAA after my FREE Ford Roadway Assistance expires.  Especially, now that my driving habits have changed in the past 3 yrs. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

We have had AAA for years and have used it many, many times mostly for towing cars home or to the shop. The hubs has a few antique/muscle cars and then reg cars/trucks too. the very best $129 a year  that we spend. Never had them come for bad batteries or keys locked in cars but would not hesitate to call.

Honored Contributor

Are you sure it's your battery and not something drawing on the battery that is making it go dead?  You might want to have that checked first.

If your battery has a 5 year warranty, you really need to go back to the place where you purchased it and have it replaced under the warranty.  

I have AAA but I've only used them 1 time.  To be honest, the amount I pay in the premiums for the plus membership is probably more than I would have paid for the 1 time I needed a tow.  But I like the peace of mind. 

Respected Contributor

Just a few weeks ago I called AAA to jump start my Honda. I had checked around but they had a slightly better price plus I thought it was a good idea for any future warranty stuff. I asked the CS person if the mechanic guy could bring a new battery in

case the older one needed replacing. CS checked inventory and said fine. The guy arrived, supposedly checked the battery, said it was okay, jump started it, said leave it running. I drove around a little while, returned and let the motor idle for close to an hour.

Battery dead again next morning. Called AAA to get their person to come and put in the new battery.The guy got here, said battery okay. I said go ahead & replace it 'cause it will be dead again by tomorrow. He said no can do. I spent another hour on phone with various AAA people. Final answer was battery out of stock and they weren't going the 50 miles to get one.

My final request was get AAA person to jump start it again so I could drive without stopping to a battery store or whatever. I had checked around again and the Honda dealership service department had almost the same price. They said come on over, sit in their nice lounge, have some coffee, soft drink or bottled water, individually wrapped snacks, etc.

Anyhooo, Triple A caused me to have to cancel an appointment and some other things. Wasted a lot of time on the phone and waiting around but I'm not cancelling my membership. I'm not happy with them right now but they've come in very handy over the years.

Sorry about the test sizes changing. On a iPad which.has a mind of its own.

Esteemed Contributor

I got a battery from AAA for my Kia 2 years ago and it was around $250. I called the dealer and it would have been the same price there. We're lucky if we get 2-3 years out of our batteries because the heat just kills them. So yup I'm thinking it will die within the next year or so. I've never had a battery last more than 3 years, doesn't matter what brand I get.