Honored Contributor

Working from home & office & back again

[ Edited ]

When our Fall semester started, we just had the Freshman class on campus.  Everyone has to keep a record of our symptoms (if any) and of course our Temperatures.  We had to take an online COVID 19 training course.  

We found out that my group of employees will have to work part time on campus & part time at home.  We have to do the books at campus.  So I work 4 hours on campus several days a week.  I still have to work other from home (doing articles and papers)  Not many extra things on campus as there usually are.  Got my flu shot on campus.  The dorms are about 35% occupied.  It's easier riding the shuttle to work. That way I don't have to pay for parking on campus.   I'm off today, as I worked on Saturday. 

This all comes to a halt during Thanksgiving Break.  Afterwards the campus will be closed and I'm back at home full time.  There will be no on campus winter mini semester.  I doubt there will be a Spring semester on campus.

Honored Contributor

Re: Working from home & office & back again

@songbird   Do you feel safe, health wise, working longer hours on campus? Stay healthy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus   I felt strange the first couple of days.  Not a lot of students.  We are isolated from the students anyway.  I enter through the back entrance of the library.  No windows.  So I felt strange.  But once you got going with work, it was OK.  After several hours, I would scurry over the shuttle stop and hop on to go home.  I'm home in less then 5 minutes because I live so close by. I think that's why they selected me to work with the books'

Honored Contributor

@songbird   Good to know. Thanks for reply. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday I was thinking that our social structure includes class, campus and alumni groups.  And of course workplace units.  Love it or hate it, they are our people.  Not it is gone.  We never hunched over a computer alone and called it school.  Strange.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Songbird. Our campus has a partial campus / partial work from home situation going on for fall. We're 60/40 on our online/face-to-face classes. After November finals will be completed online for all classes. We will have our winter session. Spring will be the same set up unless health situation is even more cause for concern. Looking at all online this summer and HOPEFULLY, back to normal fall 2021. 

Good luck and hang it there. Fall semester is almost over and we can enjoy our holiday break.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

My son is a college professor and his university is completely virtual so far.  It gives me some comfort to know that, given that he uses public transportation and the numbers are going back up in his city.  Here in NOLA, the universities are all doing in person classes and so far they have managed to control the spread of COVID pretty well.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I work for a public school district.  Most of my job involves evaluating preschool students for special education services and I have a small caseload of students I see who attend day cares and private schools in our district.  Since the summer I have been doing evaluations in person and when the school year started in September I began seeing my small caseload of students in the community.  The rest of the time I work from home, writing reports and IEPs and participating in IEP meeting through Zoom.  Beginning next week the district wants all staff to work full time in their designated school building as  students who have chose the option will be coming into buildings for hybrid learning.  I don't feel safe doing this as I share a small office with 2 other people and there is no place to hold meetings where we can social distance- so we are going to continue to hold them through Zoom.  I have asked if I can continue working as I have been due to a medical condition I have and I am waiting to hear if my request will be granted. 

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake  I love Christmas break.  We have off a week in December, coming back the day after New Year.  

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags   I think mine is too.  The school did an excellent job.  The Freshman had to be on campus, that was mandatory.  What made me feel good was that most of the incoming freshman showed up for classes on campus.  Those upper classmen that missed lab work, got that done. Things are pretty much up in air about Spring semester.  The winter mini semester is online.