Honored Contributor

Netflix Email Scam

[ Edited ]

Article dated 11/5/17:

Netflix users have been warned to be on the lookout for a new scam email sweeping the globe which claims accounts with the streaming service are set to be cancelled.

Technology experts Mailguard have warned the world's more than 110 million Netflix users to be on high alert for the fake email, which appears incredibly legitimate.

With a subject line 'Your suspension notification', the email claims unless credit card details are provided by the customer their subscription will instantly be shut down.

Complete with Netflix logos and a legitimate looking layout, the bogus email is a far cry from the mistake-ridden emails often associated with scammers - leading tech experts to urge users to be extra cautious.

Netflix users have been warned not to give their bank details to the latest scam email  claiming their account with the popular streaming service will be cancelled (pictured)

'Hi, we were unable to validate your billing information for the next billing cycle of your subscription therefore we'll suspend your membership if we do not receive a response from you within 48 hours,' the email, signed off by 'The Netflix team', reads.

'Obviously we'd love to have you back, simply click restart your membership to update your details and continue to enjoy all the best TV shows and movies without interruption.' 

Clicking on the link takes you to a page featuring a background from popular Netflix show The Crown, where users are asked to login using their details.

From there you're taken to a page asking for your full name, date of birth, address, and payment details - at the end of which the scammers have scored your money.

Keeping up the fraud, users are then taken to a reassuring 'reactivated' screen in an effort to keep up the appearance that nothing is wrong.

Keeping up the fraud, users are then taken to a reassuring 'reactivated' screen in an effort to keep up the appearance that nothing is wrong

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5051085/Netflix-email-scam-targets-millions-users-worldwide....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I get Netflix through my cable company (Comcast/Xfinity).  I'm assuming I wouldn't be on the list for this e-mail scam.

However, thanks for the heads up.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I can’t thank you enough for posting this. I know to be super cautious, but it still helps tremendously to have a heads up and be ready.

Again thank you for your generosity of spirit.

Honored Contributor

Re: Netflix Email Scam

[ Edited ]

@IMW wrote:

I can’t thank you enough for posting this. I know to be super cautious, but it still helps tremendously to have a heads up and be ready.

Again thank you for your generosity of spirit.

@IMW

Thank you for such a sweet response!Heart

I too, try to stay aware of the scammers.

I'm not a Netflix customer, but I know that many posters here are, so I wanted to pass along the warning!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.