Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

drizzella,

Could you ask your local police department to conduct a wellness check?

@drizzellla   Also, let the police know you have the key to his house.  Police in doing wellness checks are not allowed inside the home w/o a search warrant.  You may need to let them inside the house since you have a key.  At least that is the way it is in my neck of the woods.

I find it strange that you have the key to this man's house, seen his sons yet, you never got any of his childrens phone numbers?  Do the children know you have a key to their fathers house?  confused.gif

@Mz iMac. Police do not need a warrant to enter a house to do a welfare check.  They need a warrant to search.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@HLP The poster has stated she does NOT have contact numbers for his children.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest The OP has posted she does NOT have any phone numbers for his kids.

Honored Contributor

I doubt his children have taken him to any of their homes. They may have put him in assisted living or a nursing home. If they knew you looked out for him, they should have told you the circumstance or, at least, given you their phone number.

That the mail hasn't  been canceled or forwarded, I suspect he's still there. 

Since you can't  contact them, the police should be called. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla. Please let us know what happens.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I agree that a call to the police would be a good idea.  Something like "I'm calling out of concern for my elderly neighbor across the street. He hasn't been seen for a couple of weeks and his mail has been accumulating.  In the past, Mr. Smith asked for my assistance with his home when he was away, so I do have a key to his house.  I don't feel comfortable going in by myself but I will if you can send an officer to accompany me."  At that point, I feel certain they will do it for you and not require you to be with them. 

Thank you for being a great neighbor. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbor concern

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla Go in the house and leave the mail inside a zip loc bag with a note. Date the note so the son knows how much time has passed since you left the mail. His son was upset about close contact, not the mail. Dad gave you a key. Use it. There is no need to involve the police. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Neighbor concern

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@drizzellla Go in the house and leave the mail inside a zip loc bag with a note. Date the note so the son knows how much time has passed since you left the mail. His son was upset about close contact, not the mail. Dad gave you a key. Use it. There is no need to involve the police. 

@Mindy D  She is worried that he may not be ok. That would explain the need for the police. 

Honored Contributor

OK - I tried calling his landline. It rang and rang and rang and then went to voice mail.  I went to his house. And let myself in. I left the bag of mail right by the front door, so his drugs would not freeze tonight. Called out his name numerous times.

He was sitting in his den with the TV on and he was taking a nap. All is well. Thanks for giving me the push to do something.

Respected Contributor

Yay! Thanks for the update!