Super Contributor

Please let us know how this turns out.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla - You are a very caring person and wonderful neighbor to this elderly man.

I agree with others here - get the police involved for a wellness check and have them deal with his children.

Please keep us posted.  I hope he is OK.

Super Contributor

drizzella, Your neighbor is so lucky to have a wonderful person like you living nearby. What a kind and caring soul you are. I pray this situation works out for the best, and you're getting some really good suggestions here. The world needs more people like you. Please keep us informed. Prayers going up for your neighbor and his well-being. Heart

Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.
Valued Contributor

Have the police do a wellness check and give them the key if you have one.

Esteemed Contributor

A similar situation happened on my street a few years ago.  The elderly mother who lived in the house with her unmarried son died in her sleep and the son developed some type of mental illness after her death.  He was a bit odd to begin with. He continued to live in the house and never left.  His car sat in the driveway with deflated tires.  Mail was overflowing in the mail box.  My neighbor kept trying to call and knock on the door to no avail.  She had a key to the house but did not want to go in.  She did call the police who found him on the floor and dehydrated.  He was put under psychiatric care after they saw the state the house was in.  He has since died. You are a good neighbor and if you cannot get in touch with the son calling the police may be what you should do.  It's troubling.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I am at a loss about what to do.

Our elderly neighbor across the street has been physically declining. We have been doing his yard work, trash, cleaning, etc for over a year. His 4 children took away his keys to his vehicle about 3 weeks ago.

We suspect he is no longer living in the house. There a no lights on at night, his drapes are always open and his mail has not been touched in over a week.

His mail was overflowing his mail box. So I put it in a bag and hung the bag behind an outside chair. I noticed that he had a refill of his drugs delivered in the mail. I am worried about the drugs sitting out with the fluctuating temperature and we are getting below freezing temperature next week.

No one mentioned to us that our neighbor was not living in the house.

I have keys to his house but with the virus I don't want to just put it in his house. His son is quite concerned about the virus. His son was doing yard work and his Dad walked past him at a distance of about 3 feet. The son was so upset that he immediately left. He lives 90 miles away. So I am afraid if his son does stop by and sees the bag in his Dad's house, he will be upset. 

I don't want to bring the mail into our house. We had the covid virus and I am sure that would upset the son and probably the daughters too. 

I only have the phone # for his landline. Any suggestions what I should do?

Is it possible that he is now staying with one of his children? If not, have the police do a wellness check. A warrant is not needed.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

Quit worrying about all these things.   Be a good neighbor and just call the police.  

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla- Just contact Law Enforcement.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla  Call the police let them handle it.  Similar thing happened in our neighborhood in Az this man not seen for 3 days had had heart attack in his bath - but the 
Police handled it.

Better to be sure than sorry.  Thank you for caring.

Honored Contributor

Have you called the police yet?  Please give us an update.   Hope this man is okay!