Super Contributor

Appliances are no longer made to last and because they are expensive buying an extended warranty for a dishwasher to me is a must.

We moved into a new house and our dishwasher broke after 3 years.  I replaced it with a Kitchenaid but bought it from Best Buy with a 5 year warranty for $100.

Valued Contributor

We have a Kitchen Aid that is about 7 years old.  Just a month after the one year warranty expired, the brackets on the top rack broke and the control panel died.  Had it repaired for $400+.  In November the top rack broke again and I made an appt with the repair company that KA recommends, but they couldn't fix it untl the end of December.  Then the day before the repair was set to take place, we get a phone call that the part  needed is on back order and they wlll contact us when it arrives.  They commented that it might take several months.  Do I buy a new one?  We haven't been happy with this dw, it is quiet, but the top rack can only be 1/2 full, otherwise the dishes don't get clean.  Our previous GE dw lasted for over 25 years.  These things aren't cheap!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Am I the only person who never uses my dishwasher?  It is just DH and I. We wash the dishes as we use them. They dry on a dish rack. Can not imagine  having to fill up a dishwasher to run it.  I would run out of dishes😄

ours is pretty much run daily. during the holidays, sometimes twice a day.

everything goes into the dishwasher.....and i mean everything. i personally dont like having a dish rack sitting out permanently or temporarily......dont even own one. so much easier to rinse and load right into the dishwasher. i think they get so much cleaner and more sanitized going into the machine.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

I do not use mine as frequently as I did when my girls were at home.  

I just do the few we have by hand.  

Count me in, I never use my dishwasher, do them by hand, done in a few minutes, all is washed and dried and put away, just me and my hubby. Use good old 

Dawn and dishes clean as can be. Also this way I dont take any chances of a broken dishwasher leaking on to hardwood floor, and ruining it. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@panda1234   We wash the dishes.  Stack them....pots and pans are just towel dried. Put the others away when dry. No big deal.  Does not bother me to have clean dishes on the dish rack. Why would it?

@SeaMaiden @Like I said, it's just me. It makes me feel better when my countertops  are clear, the kitchen feels in order.

Super Contributor
Gotta vote for Bosch. Moved into my condo in 1994, KitchenAid went belly-up at 18. (It was in its teens when I inherited it.) Bought a Maytag early/mid-2000’s, thought It would last a long time. Guess it did, technically, but the circuit board went out suddenly in June - during the pandemic - and I had to get a new one ASAP. All my appliances except the microwave (GE) are Bosch. Did my research, couldn’t find anything with better reviews. Not perfect, none were. Went with mid-range, like others here (gotcha, PickyPicky!). Cost me $1,200 with installation by third party and some unique plumbing issues.

Pros: has 3 racks, easy to load. Surprisingly, so much easier than the Maytag (which quickly lost all its moveable racks/prongs) to unload. No longer dread putting dishes away. Quiet. Dishes get sparkling clean.

Cons: wanted SS tub, none in stock for quick delivery. Long wash cycle, although I don’t consider that a bad thing. No heated drying on this model and dishes do indeed not get completely dry unless the door is propped open after cycle. However, same problem with the Maytag. Display/action panel on the Maytag was on the front of the door; on the Bosch, it is inside the door, on the top. Found out the hard way that if any liquid sloshes over the counter and gets the internal panel wet, the Start button will stick and the unit will not work. Poor design, I say. Customer preference, the (warranty) repairman said. Known issue with bad smell that doesn’t go away. Repairman said to run it more often, did help. Also recommended Cascade powder for Bosch vs. pellets. Who knew?
Trusted Contributor

After looking at many brands including Bosch, we finally bought a Miele.  I have some beautiful hand-painted china, and it is the only dishwasher on the market that will wash and not harm hand-painted china.  This was some 20 years ago, but there may well be others that have this feature, but Miele was the only brand at that time.

We have had absolutely no problems with our Miele.  It is so quiet you don't know it is on and can also do an economical half load, which is excellent for the two of us.

Contributor

We have a Bosch , never again. From day one , I have to rinse, wash etc, before putting in the dishwasher.   Dishes are never clean, big disappointment.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need a Dishwasher

[ Edited ]

Googled the 2020 list:

BEST DISHWASHERS

• Best Overall: Bosch 300 Series 
  • Best High-End Dishwasher: Bosch 800 Series
  • Best Feature Set and Design: KitchenAid KDPM604KPS
  • Best Budget Dishwasher: Maytag MDB4949SHZ
  • Most Reliable Dishwasher:  Miele G 7316 SCU AutoDos
  • Best Countertop Dishwasher: Black + Decker BCD6W
  • Best Portable Dishwasher: GE GPT145SSSLSS Portable
  • Best Smart Dishwasher: LG Studio LDP6797ST Wi-Fi Enabled
  • Quietest Dishwasher:  GE Profile Series PDT785SYNFS
  • Fastest Dishwasher: Thermador Star-Sapphire Series
  • Best Narrow Dishwasher:  Bosch 300 Series SPE53U55UC
  • Note I also found that they stated the most expensive is not necessarily the best dishwasher.  When I found mine, I read a TON of reviews.  I did not want a bunch of fancy features I would never use.  I wanted an easy non-cluttered panel on the front without a bunch of buttons and dials I would never use.  I did go to the store to look at some because truthfully I need to see what I'm ordering.  I wound up with a Maytag this time (made in the USA).  Good Luck!